Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sterling Silver - Hard vs Dead soft - beginner question  (Read 1350 times)

jalapeno333

Sterling Silver - Hard vs Dead soft - beginner question
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:56:28 PM »

Hi there, I'm new to the jewelry world and ordering my first sheet metal for rings and pendants.  I am wondering what hardness to order for making rings, AND what hardness to order for making "bezel backs"

I am ordering from Rio Grande.   I already ordered a 6''x4'' sterling sheet 18ga, dead-soft.   I was thinking to use this for rings?  but I want to order a sheet for backing my cabochons.  I'm seeing 3 options: dead soft, 1/4 hard, and 1/2 hard..

Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!  I am excited to get started, and my Amazon/Rio Grande orders have already shipped! Should be in full creation mode in the next couple days.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Sterling Silver - Hard vs Dead soft - beginner question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 03:18:58 PM »

I personally use dead soft when buying sheet.  The process of anealing or quenching in the pickle will either soften or harden your piece so that sort of changes the need for buying the silver one way or the other.  You can also work harden your material.  Cooling the work piece slowly will soften the silver and rapid cooling hardens it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 29 queries.