Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Done and done update Feb 16  (Read 1018 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Done and done update Feb 16
« on: February 11, 2016, 06:19:31 PM »

Its been a while since I updated anything here, but now seems to have the rush going on this month.

First up a Valentine contest project, and the only one finished thus far : What seems to be Turkic Dendrite material

The FA is ongoing for a while now, and slowly coming together

While I found a bridge between the coloured areas on top and bottom, there is still a huge gap and I'm not sure if the quality of colour that might be underneath is worth the effort. So I decided to use the hole as a sort of plug to attach something else to cover it and the noncoloured areas.
Tried for contrast the cutoffs from the Turkic Dendrite, but broke 3 attempts, so I finally got an old Biggs breakaway from a few years ago in my hands and that worked. I like the colour as it blends the subject nearly too well into the background.

The use of Biggs was not too out of the blue, as at the same day a visiting Nephew choose a Biggs for a project of his own design based on an arrow.

Last but not least, my project for a FB Valentine Challenge. PolkaDot Agate (used that as a cab some months ago in another contest)
Lets call it Cosmic birth of Love to get the relevance to Valentine Day. :) :) :)

That one gives me a huge headache. Normally, I only got problems to get shapes into pictures, but this time the colour and material blends so well that it is hard to make out the shapes even at hand. One has to really get close up to see whats going on, even though some cuts are nearly 5mm deep. Will have to figure that one out before the month is out.

Thanks for looking, Kurt
Anything not given, is lost.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Re: Done and done update Feb 16
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:16:17 AM »

OK, Arrow for nephew is done. Some small problems remain, but he seems happy. So, its gone.

The Pixie is done too and wearing it since yesterday. The contrast is still not very strong, but I like it. There is enough to see at first sight to wake interest, the rest can be explored later. After all it's supposed to be dreamlike, so clarity is not necessarily the most important thing.

Now its time to focus on the FA for the rest of the month (will not have time for anything else anyhow as the school-drama needs to be front and center from now till middle of next month).

After getting a reasonable front, I turned to the back, to shape and drill a hole for a cord. To my surprise, as I shaved away sand and excess material, I found a lot of reverse bubbles. Usually you get them in ring-stones from time to time as those have to be fairly thin. In pendant you get a spot here or there. But dang it, this looks like it could cover more than 50% of the back. Mind you, this is not ring stone sized, we are talking here a bit over 3 inches by over an inch wide, for this piece. So I think its a stunning find.

So from here on, its trying to get as close as possible to the actual colour on both sides and then set the octopus into it.

Thanks for looking, Kurt
Anything not given, is lost.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Done and done update Feb 16
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:41:36 AM »

Really nice job on all of them.  The arrow is very "manly" looking and I can see why your nephew is pleased with it.  I like the pixie, too.  Pretty difficult to see details in the picture, but I can make out the shape ok and she looks just as cute as a pixie should.

Can't wait to see what the the finished fire agate finally ends up looking like.  I think it's going to be amazing!   :glasses9:
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 31 queries.