Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Poppie jasper  (Read 1071 times)

auscarver

My Poppie jasper
« on: October 24, 2022, 03:11:38 AM »

Last Christmas I found this deposit on my property, obicular jasper with magnatite and hematite.
C77E6AAB-CB10-4A1F-AECC-E75C18FBABAD.jpeg
*C77E6AAB-CB10-4A1F-AECC-E75C18FBABAD.jpeg (211.86 kB . 750x834 - viewed 118 times)
I have a friend that told me you don’t have poppie jasper without the white spots, yesterday I found this, it has more quartz in the mix, and hematite.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: My Poppie jasper
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 07:04:20 AM »

Merry Christmas to you, eh? Still getting gifts from that deposit almost a year later. That's great.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 10:06:44 AM »

Very typical of west coast US poppy jaspers. If it was in situ what was the host rock? Here it is almost always from the mix of basalt lava and limestone or agrillite. I have seen contacts that were in situ and exposed in streams and they are spectacular.

auscarver

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 11:34:46 PM »

Thanks Vince and Frank. It is basalt lava like you said Frank. Also has a type of clorite. Clinoclorite, I had this green crystally material tested. It’s in contact with basalt. This lighter colour material is up above the darker base orange material, in situ but eroded more, any ideas why this material forms
the white dots but my other material doesn’t. More silica ?.

AgateLicker

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 11:30:34 AM »

Putting in my two pennies for Manganese. That pink...

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 01:24:19 PM »

A bunch of research has been done recently on California poppy jaspers . The researcher says that the dots are remains of radiolarians usually ones that have had the outer shells broken off. He has used infrared spectroscopy and great visible light magnification to  confirm. Ocean jasper is not radiolarians it is replaced rhyolite. There are fresh and saltwater
 radiolarians and apparently your peanut wood is a mix of wood and freshwater radiolarian ooze.

auscarver

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 02:06:30 AM »

Great feedback. Radiolarians. So those little white dots in my piece pictured could be the remains of there silica shells. I may send some samples to get tested, I do have 3 rhodonite deposits close to this with heaps of manganese but it’s hematite causing the colour in this as that purple maroon stone has a reddish streak. A close up of some of the orbs in the dark base material. Shows it’s breciated also.

auscarver

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 03:11:21 AM »

More recent finds.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 07:42:37 AM »

Oolites make similar dots  but have radial lines coming out from the center and typically have more layers ( shells) than  radiolarians which have three or four if unbroken. the oolites form in soft sediment  and seem to be chemical aggregation features.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 07:53:35 AM »

One recent paper I found proposes a theory that those orbs are not individual (giant) radiolarians, but clusters.

I still haven't seen any convincing evidence for this theory, it is really hard to analyze these structures with conclusive results. Thin sections, electron microscopy, perhaps Raman microscopy. Would be nice to see a good research paper dissecting poppy jaspers.

Whatever the origin may be, it really is a nice material! Have you tried cabbing or just polishing it yet?

AgateLicker

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 10:08:45 AM »

El Goog tells me Radiolarians formed symbiotic relationships with algae. The algal mat argillite I've been harvesting here in the Belt metaseds sometimes has chemical bleaching along microdikes that formed during deposition. The argillite is "red" with a high iron content and the bleached areas are the same dusty rose as your pale areas.

I'm assuming the oxidation along the feature (microfaulting, in this case) triggered a response in the organism to create a chemical scab of sorts and alter it's boundaries to cope with an opening. These mats acted like firm set jello. Fungi self heals and defends itself against other fungi by creating antimicrobial/fungal boundaries.

Possibly the white centers represent the chemical boundary between your Radiolarian aggregates and a fungal symbiont they are in the soup with

auscarver

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »

Thanks for the great feedback, geology and gemmology is a great subject. I have polished a piece and have started a carving but not finished. It’s a tough stone without fracture, I do have a friend in New York that is a Dr of Geology, that may test this For me, see attached polished free form.

AgateLicker

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022, 02:02:20 PM »

Does the difficulty arise from grain orientation and differing fracture planes in the different minerals? I'm working with some porcelain-y contact zone meta-argillite that has clinochlore and pyroxene group minerals. One face behaves one way and the opposing face a contradictory fashion in terms of what's taking a high polish and what's staying dull.

It goes *tink tink* in a glassine way when I tap pieces together. Does yours sound like that? It's also tough as nails to cut/shape.

Are you in Australia? If so, and you didn't know, the Aus plate used to be congruent with the NA plate. Supercontinent Laurentia I believe. Makes sense it would be visually akin to West Coast NA poppies.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 09:06:43 AM »

The west coast poppy jaspers are all in terrains that came from central and south America but there is an earlier terrains that came from Borneo according to the included fossils.

AgateLicker

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »

lithicbeads, would those be considered 'exotic terranes'?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 54 queries.