Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I BROKE IT!!! flex shaft  (Read 2666 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
I BROKE IT!!! flex shaft
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:40:46 AM »

last night, getting to the final stages of polishing my huge fire agate i have been working over for nearly three weeks.
The flexible shaft in my harbor frieght tools foredom broke near the chuck.
I purchased an extended two year warranty so im good, but Damn it pixxed me off to no end last night.

I WAS SO CLOSE! :Bash: :Bash: :Bash: :Bash: :Bash:

bobby1

Re: I BROKE IT!!! flex shaft
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »

You have to lube the cable on these units right after you buy them and before their first use. They are notorious for this problem. Either they don't lube them at the factory or they don't lube them enough. The instructor at the Modesto Junior College jewelery program clued me in on this problem after I told her that I bought two units for a lapidary teaching event that I was conducting.
Bob

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:22:23 PM »

i got me a new one today, paid another $10 for a new two year warranty also.
I will grease the shaft well this time.

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:54:21 AM »

Is this a real "Foredom" flex shaft or a Harbor Freight look alike? I currently use a look alike and am considering going to a quality tool.

bobby1

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 09:17:56 AM »

If you are seriously into jewelry making or carving and expect to use this machine a lot I would suggest that you buy a quality machine like a Foredom.
I bought the Harbor freight ones because I am using them in an outdoor environment that is a two-week long lapidary session where I am teaching making cabs with carving elements. If they get abused then I'm not out much. I bought them when Harbor Freight had a 25% off sale so they were less than $40 each. I have two Foredoms that I use for my lapidary and jewelry work, one of which I have had for over 40 years.
The Harbor Freight ones don't look much like a Foredom so I wouldn't call them a "knockoff".

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 05:07:07 PM »

Thanks Bobby. I will only be drilling some holes on occasion but I just wondered if they were real foredooms. My plans are for a foredom. But if it was a foredom and they have cable problems I might consider a knockoff for occasional use.

thanks

bobby1

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »

On my 40+-year-old Foredom, all I  have ever had to do to it was lube the cable. The brushes are still the original ones.
Bob

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 03:12:24 PM »

maybe i could make a trade for a pricey fire agate and get a used foredom, sure would like a reverse on one.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »

last night, getting to the final stages of polishing my huge fire agate i have been working over for nearly three weeks. The flexible shaft in my harbor frieght tools foredom broke near the chuck. I purchased an extended two year warranty so im good, but Damn it pixxed me off to no end last night.

I know this is an old thread but I hope you don't mind the suggestion for anyone reading this......stay away from Harbor Freight power tool crap. In my opinion you just wasted money on the tool...then twice on a warranty. Pony up the cash and buy either a new or used Foredom tool...they are well worth the money. I have had 2 in my shop and been using them for over 35 years and have yet to have to fix anything. If they do break you can always buy any parts for them. I know some like to save a buck but some guys try to save money the wrong way. Buying good quality tools is not only smart but in the long run they also maintain their value and have resale value once you want to sell them.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »

actually, i believe in buying the best i can afford. Living within my means.
With that, i purchased a harbor freight flex shaft. on the second one i tore it apart and white greased the hell out of it.
I break the flex shaft apart regularly, blast out the old grease with brake cleaner, let dit overnight and force new grease through the tube like a brake/clutch cable on my harley now.

I would LOVE to get a vintage old foredom with a reverse some day. they NEVER fall apart.
But i havent touched a stone to a wheel in two years now.
Lost my vision and want by hearing IM NOT INTERESTED from the one i made things for.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 09:06:40 PM »

and force new grease through the tube like a brake/clutch cable on my harley now.

I may be wrong here, but these don't spin at thousands of rpm like the flex shaft does. There is such thing as too much grease on the flex shaft, leading to increased load on the motor and possibly overheating of the flex shaft.

And there is also too little grease, as we all know.

The sweet spot is somewhere in between. Foredom instruction manual recommends cleaning the shaft, applying a light film of grease (emphasis theirs), then running the piece for 10 minutes and wiping away any excess grease that may have appeared at the tip of the shaft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 43 queries.