Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First casting  (Read 2557 times)

MurphyStone

First casting
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »

My first wax carving as well as casting, done on an old swest machine from 1974. 

MurphyStone

Re: First casting
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »

Here is a video of the basic process. 

https://youtu.be/olrkOeHumRw

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:14:27 AM »

That's super-nice, especially for a first attempt.  Inlays are difficult when it comes to getting everything proportioned just right.  At least that's my experience.  It doesn't take long to learn that the "art" is in the wax work.  Good job.

MurphyStone

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »

That's super-nice, especially for a first attempt.  Inlays are difficult when it comes to getting everything proportioned just right.  At least that's my experience.  It doesn't take long to learn that the "art" is in the wax work.  Good job.

Thanks can you tell me do you always need to use new casting grain or can you remelt your sprues and and or scrap
?  Curious for gold and silver.  And yep the wax shows everything :)

another shot of the this ring. 

rocks2dust

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:23:33 AM »

I agree: very successful, even if it were not your first piece. Nothing wrong with re-using your scrap. Just cut up clean pieces and keep it sorted by fineness (e.g., don't mix .925 with .999, etc.). For contaminated pieces that you cannot clean (stubborn bits of investment, solder, etc.), it is probably easier to just put those aside to sell to a refiner.  Should work fine if you consistently use the same alloy, though some folks prefer to mix the scrap 50/50 with new grain - especially with mixed alloy scrap.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »

The rule I always follow is 50% new metal when using old sprues and buttons.  Make sure the old metal is squeaky clean with no oxidation or other contaminants.  At times I've re-used old buttons without new metal with varying luck.  I had enough problems that I always follow the 50% rule now.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:58:30 PM »

I have to try this soon now that i have some nice torches.
Neighbor left an acetylene and a huge propane turbo torch in his yard when he moved and never came back for them, then my friend purchased the place and gave them to me.
Free torches are the best torches lol!

I need a kiln though right?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:30:27 PM »

Great job on your first casting!  Awesome that you have all the equipment to do it.  The ring looks really nice.
Robin

rocks2dust

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »

I need a kiln though right?
Can you convince your friend to move again - this time to a house where someone has left a kiln?

Sapphireminer

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »

Hi MurphyStone very nice ring you have made agreat piece its a shame that most people don't appreciate a great hand made piece they would sooner buy a mass produced machine made item from a jewelry store at double the price. The wife and I just tried our first cast using petrobond but need a bit more practice to turn out a good piece .
Dave

MurphyStone

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »

Thanks for the compliments everyone,  it was super fun.  I hope to get some more carved up soon and try a larger sprue especially with the burnout time needed. 

It there a specific reason why you shouldn't ever mix fine with sterling?  other than effecting the purity are there other issues? 

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »

None that I can think of.  As you say, the purity will be affected if that's not a problem for you.  Even re-using old Sterling results in some purity loss due to burn-off of some materials used in alloying.  If you're stamping your work for a given purity just be sure it meets or exceeds the stamped purity. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 46 queries.