Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw  (Read 5612 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Restoring a 1950s Frantom 18" Slab Saw
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 07:59:19 AM »

Seeing your more recent photos gives me something to compare ours to. I think our split nut and handles are different.

I've never had ours disassembled to the point you're at with yours.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »

Seeing your more recent photos gives me something to compare ours to. I think our split nut and handles are different. I've never had ours disassembled to the point you're at with yours.

If you would please...just send me a couple  pics of the whole split nut assembly and area including the handle. If anyone else reading this has this saw please contact me.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 05:19:37 PM »

Second photo in this thread - http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=4209.0 - shows ours. Same type split nut but with a different handle. Our handle is just a flat bar that pivots on one bolt and pushes against a long-shank bolt with a roller sleeve on it to disengage the split nut.

Another member posted a close-up of his here: http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=4662.msg35480#msg35480 . It looks just like the setup on the saw we have.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 06:55:22 PM »

You guys both have the newer improved split nut Frantom did after my model saw........I'll have to keep looking but thanks for helping. Just wondering on the vise handle block is that a grease or oil cup mounted on the left side?

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 04:26:07 AM »

That is one heavy and substantial feed dog for the drive mechanism.  Most designs wear out quickly because of too much resistance on too few threads.  Your machine has lots of thread contact and substantial brawn.  Good luck with the body and the saw. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Slabbercabber

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 07:49:05 AM »

That looks like a great place to use a 1/4" hex impact driver.  The constant hammering is light enough not to damage but given enough impacts, almost anything will move.  Just need to fab an adapter for the T-handle.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 09:22:01 AM »

Yep, DC, that is indeed a grease cup.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 02:31:19 AM »

Shoulder still in a lot of pain. I basically had to get to a more stationary vice to move around and get more leverage on this bitch that I couldn't get in my shop. So I called my buddy who happens to have a massive vice that mounts on his car trailer. So this is what we came up with........

...........So after several mins of soaking with oil and pulling back and forth.......

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 03:02:49 AM »

........Finally worked it loose !! Man I tell ya this thing fought all the way and I found out why it was so stubborn coming loose. It wasn't rust....you can't see it in the pics but it was slightly bent internally inside the middle of the metal block which I will straighten and then use a 5/8-11 tap & die to clean up the threads. I'll also cut and drill out the T-handle and install a new one with a slightly bigger dia. handle. Besides the old one got chewed up a bit and already knew that was inevitable given the only way I could get a wrench on it and limiting the damage to the part. I also have another idea for an improved handle but will cross that if I decide to go thru with it. Plus I had a back up plan in case the bolt snapped off....just drill it out and make a new part. I always try to think out things including alternative plans way before.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 07:04:40 AM »

And the winner is...!

Always good to have a "Plan B", too. Easy to see you know how to get things done.

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 11:26:13 PM »

Today thought I would remove the cross rod, straighten and clean up the t-handle for the vice. Here's the finished handle. I still have to make and install a new cross rod plus run a Die on the threads but found I didn't have one in this size. In a few days I'll head out of  town to a cool old school type hardware store I found not far away and metal supply to pick up some needed items I cant get from these local rinky-dink stores here. Besides I like browsing there......its the "Toys-R-Us" for men......well.... mostly men. 

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »

its almost like my saw, but your pulley system is completely different.
I havent uncovered mine in two years tho lol

i want to find a cruiser beach style fat bicycle fender to put behind the blade to keep the oil from splashing out between the hinge then onto my patio.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 07:58:05 PM »

PS: mine is a 17 inch saw, but i put a 20 on it.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2021, 08:06:27 PM »

only pics i got right now

OldeTimeDC

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2021, 03:23:05 AM »

Phishisgroovin.......hope you don't mind but thought I would fix your pics for you...they looked a bit washed out and detail was lacking so I made some slight improvements. I tried PMing or Emailing them to you but couldn't. You can  download these if you like. The saw you have doesn't look like a Frantom, whats the maker?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 54 queries.