General Category > Welcome!

Hello from Holland

(1/3) > >>

Jac:
Thanks to the Lapidary forum Team to welcome me as a member.

My name is Jac and I am a beginning faceter in Holland (The Netherlands).
In my country the group of faceters is very limited and no forum available, hence my application here.
I hope that this community will help me to overcome the issues toward succesful faceting.

Greetings from Holland!

lithicbeads:
Welcome. Unfortunately there are not many facetors here now. The Australian facetors seem to be the most active over the years  and you may find back posts that answer your questions. Faceting has never been easier than today with the wide array of excellent grinding and polishing lars available now. You may be able to find internet groups focused on the machine you own but things change quickly with things lapidary as the hobby as a whole has been very stressed for years with sky rocketing equipment prices keeping many from participating. Your especially lucky because there are such good quartz pre polish and polishing laps that you can practice with decent size quartz cuts which were very difficult years ago. If one teaching system doesn't seem intuitive try others

Jac:
Thank you for your reply. It is true that costs to start are high, but in the USA I found the right equipment.
Despite of the Australian faceters, foundations to make cutting available to many of us, is thanks to the wonderful designs of a.o. the late Jeff Graham, Robert Long, Norman Steele, Fred van Sant etc

Many of their designs are luckily made public.
However it is hard to find Jeff Grahams Gram faceting Additions. RockPeddler states on their website “out of print” for Addition #4 etc
I hope someone on this forum can help me out here?
More specific I am searching for the faceting diagram of his design “Pounded Shield” in this addition 4.
I searched the internet but found nothing although I am willing to pay for the rights.
Regards, Jac

lithicbeads:
We had a facetors club in Seattle that was run by Long and Steele. We had many amazing evenings listening to them recount the discoveries they had made the previous month. Two very nice giving people who were immensely talented.

irockhound:
Jac I just searched for Pounded Shield and found it on the gem society.org site.  Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here is the link.  Oops never mind it is the description only and directs you to the rockPedler site.  Did they ever post if to the Magazines?  Lapidary Journal or Rock and Gem you think?

I will look through my library, I have several books and binders of facet diagrams and instructions.  Not sure if this particular design is much newer than what I might have in print.  I have a couple faceting machines but only dabbled a short time in faceting.  I'll check and post after I look in the next day or 2.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version