Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Breaking Chisels  (Read 1576 times)

Michael

Rock Breaking Chisels
« on: November 09, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »

Here in AZ I was on a field trip awhile back looking for rhyolite (green lizard).  I use mostly Eastwing hammers and a chisel, but for the life of me, that stone beat me as much as I beat it.  I never saw such a hard stone, or was it my tools?   I only have a 10" saw, so I am not looking to break up boulders, only pieces off of them.  I tried my pry bar, everything.  Got some shards when I slammed my cross peen sledge hammer / 12lbs into the stone.  Other than that it was not a productive day. Up to now, splitting agate and jasper has worked for the most part.  Onyx, calcite and other materials work well.  I know they are much softer.  Rhyolite must be 7+ on the MOHS.  I did not see any cleavage evidence on the stone as well. 

Anyone here use carbide tipped chisels when breaking off pieces?   I know they are expensive, but most effective things are more $$ than Harbor Freight stuff. ]That is, are they worth the extra $$ ?  I felt like I was in a prison chain gang along side a road, breaking stone, or trying too.  I bench press 180, but this stone just whipped me. Gotta say it was a great work out though.  Stayed very hydrated.  In AZ, dehydration is the kiss!

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Rock Breaking Chisels
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »

Wait 'til you try to cab it!  I started cutting a piece of that once.  Worked forever on it and finally quit.  Too damn hard to even cut.  It's still on a dop semi-done from about 7 years ago.   :laughing6:
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 08:52:18 PM »

I have broken plenty of jade boulders but nothing short of a 20 lb sledge works and then it can take over 400 well placed hits before a crack appears.For basalt breaking to get at pet wood we use big heavy pointed metal bars about 6 feet long , heavier the better and good leather gloves. Nasty work in any case. I once blew up a hill of agate  after it was drilled. We got 220,000 lbs after a week with a trac hoe. That is the way to go.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »

I knew that green lizard was hard rock, but did not know it was that hard. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 34 queries.