Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rutilated and OJ  (Read 1447 times)

MurphyStone

Rutilated and OJ
« on: September 18, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »

Managed to get these done, while fighting a head cold.  I quit on the third piece after making a mistake out of frustration and inpatients. 

rutilated quartz, in fine silver with 14K accents.  Man were they hard to get back to gold looking after melting to balls. 

Ocean Jasper ~ loved this stone pretty happy with the setting. 

rocks2dust

Re: Rutilated and OJ
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »

The 2 out of 3 not only ain't bad, they're spectacular  :smiley:

edgarscale

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »

really nice pieces

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

ileney

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »

Super nice. I especially love the OJ.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »

I love the designs but also like to give honest input.  I think the rutilated could be taken up a notch if you didn't have the backing go so far into the center when piercing behind a clear stone.  It would look better solid or with the opening mirroring the shape of the bezel and with only a small ledge around the outer edge of the stone.  I have done pieces like this and love doing them so that the pendant can bring out the color in whatever the person is wearing behind it.  With such a wide band of silver showing thru the stone on the right it looks distracting and draws my eye to that more that the great setting you made.  Love the piece but I think if you do another one think more about keeping the silver to a minimum behind the stone.

I hope you take that as creative input and not a put down as I do love the piece but I see more potential.

Steve

MurphyStone

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 04:40:59 AM »

I love the designs but also like to give honest input.  I think the rutilated could be taken up a notch if you didn't have the backing go so far into the center when piercing behind a clear stone.  It would look better solid or with the opening mirroring the shape of the bezel and with only a small ledge around the outer edge of the stone.  I have done pieces like this and love doing them so that the pendant can bring out the color in whatever the person is wearing behind it.  With such a wide band of silver showing thru the stone on the right it looks distracting and draws my eye to that more that the great setting you made.  Love the piece but I think if you do another one think more about keeping the silver to a minimum behind the stone.

I hope you take that as creative input and not a put down as I do love the piece but I see more potential.

Steve

Thanks always looking for info and opinions.  I went round and round in my head when doing this piece.  The problem was I liked the look with some textured silver behind it and also opened.  I tried to combine both and perhaps should have gone a single direction. 

MurphyStone

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 04:43:55 AM »

really nice pieces
The 2 out of 3 not only ain't bad, they're spectacular  :smiley:

Thank you, slowly learning and seeing new ideas.  I am a bit different I think in that I cut all my stones and then just wait for a vision of what to do with them.  I don;t have a sketch or anything.  I just grab and go once i see it. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.