Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (Read 1635 times)

Cadtoon

From Calgary, Alberta, Canada
« on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:20 PM »

Hello everyone,
I am not new to lapidary but it has been so long I forget how, well some of it.
A bit of my background.... I am 63 years young and took early retirement to be my fathers caregiver, he is 93. Not a lot of money between the 2 of us but we manage.
I started construction right out of high school but most people refer to me as a geek. I turned on my first computer back in 1989. Started as a draftsman, went into 3D animation, had to learn a lot of systems administration and for a while sold computers. My last employment I was developer/administration and content manager for a website that educated personnel with valve maintenance - oil and gas.
My dad was a rockhound when I was a teenager and the entire family were members of the local Calgary Rockhound Club. We travelled a lot during the summers collecting rocks and crystals. I lost interest after falling off a roof shattering both my wrists. It was just too painful shaping a cab. I'm not sure I am up to it now.
So what am I doing here? Well perhaps I will give it a go but not sure I want to spend the cash to find out I can't handle it. But I think I have enough to get started without any expenses.
Dad had all the equipment. 10" slab saw, trim saw, grinders, polishing wheels, tumblers a flat bed polisher. Some years ago my brother borrowed most of the good stuff to see if his grand-children were interested. His wife says they bought it from dad. Dad doesn't remember that part of the deal but says they can keep it anyway.
Sometime along the years dad purchased a Star Diamond Model C-6 combo unit from his mechanic for $75.00. He says he had it running but from the work I have had to put into restore it I think not. I have attached a picture of it. I think I am missing something, I grind stone or a polishing wheel. I am hoping someone here can help me with that. See, there is three drip lines. One above each of the 2 grindstones but the third is above nothing, just beside the sanding wheel at the right end. I am also a little confused with the water valve system. Again I am hoping someone here has one of these machines and can advise me on some finishing restorations.
The trim saw was full of oily sediment,dad says he always used a good quality cutting oil but I found none. I guess brother got it. The 10" is also full of nothing but oily sediment. That's my next restore project but sure it only needs a good cleaning. This stuff has been sitting in the garage for over 20 years unused, unprotected.

Cheers,
Cadtoon
(Cad is the drafting in me and toon is from the animation)

If that's confusing, just call me Bob
Just when you figured it out, they change it.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: From Calgary, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 02:52:05 AM »

The two wheels have drips above them .  The third on the far right is a changeable flat buff or you can buy the 6" flat threaded laps that can also screw on here so it can be used to polish or grind depending on what you have mounted.  It is normally a 1/4 inch female thread on the end of the shaft.  There is no drip here because you normally don't use drip on buffs.  Not sure on this unit if you can take off the end of the arbor and change out to a Expanded drum.  In looking at the machine online they have another unit that had an extra spot on the right so it had 2 wheels, the expanded drum and the lap but that unit might not have had the saw to the left.  always a give and take.  The unit you have looks like it should get you rolling though.  Probably lots of people here very familiar with your exact machine and can lend more help.

ps Welcome form Sunny Socal, Steve

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 07:16:48 AM »

Welcome from western Oregon!

Bill

Felicia

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 11:23:47 AM »

Welcome. Hope your wrists let you work.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 11:41:17 AM »

That machine will serve you well.  You should have room for an expando wheel that will give you the total range of belts to accomodate your polishing needs.  If you use the old silicone carbide wheels, just remember to spin them dry and don't let them become water logged if not spinning. (they get out of balance and can disintegrate with lethal and near lethal consequences.  Better to invest in a couple of diamond wheels that will last a long time with better results.  I have a Mercury 8" trim saw from Edmonton.  Ever heard of them?  Enjoy the sport (its more than a hobby).
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 07:37:39 PM »

Expandos will blow up if you run them without a belt.I am totally worn out and do not think I would last long with a silicon carbide hard wheel, they develop bouncing  which you can dress out. This is not bad when you are young but when old diamond is so much nicer , a different world. Mineral oil they use for horses is now standard in saws.Welcome from the Washngton coast.Lots of good advice here and some of us have been at it continuously over 40 years.

Cadtoon

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 11:17:24 PM »

Thanks for the replies and greetings.
Well I won't be thinking about lapidary until I finish cleaning the garage, after 9 weeks I can start to see the light of day. Still have the big saw to clean out too. To carry this into the quickly approaching winter, I will need to setup in the basement, garage furnace hasn't been working for 20 years. That's what I like about this little unit, providing it is all-in-one as is sits. However, the basement is another big project. It may be longer then I thought before I can try spinning out a cab.

Interestingly enough, not sure exactly what I was searching for again, but I came across this manual. Does that not look identical to my C-6?
https://products.riogrande.com/content/Instruction-Sheets/Lapidary-Combination-Workshop-Operating-IS.pdf

Is that what my saw is suppose to be equipped with? Are the grindstones good enough? Don't answer that right now. After browsing around the forum a bit I see this topic is better suited to be in an equipment section. When I get the time to put an effort into it more I will start a topic for the "Star Diamond Model C-6". Perhaps a good start stepping back into this is to first understand my equipment, its components and other options.

I'm going to need a lot of tutoring.

Just when you figured it out, they change it.

VegasJames

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 11:28:22 PM »

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 12:03:37 AM »

Greetings from Edmonton!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 43 queries.