Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which metal/stone combinations can be polished together with decent results?  (Read 608 times)

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel

An absolute beginner here when it comes to metal smithing! I'd like to start by cold working some rivets into drilled stones, or setting a stone into a heavy bezel, and then grinding and polishing the whole assembly to achieve the final result.

Are there any metal/stone combinations that yield reasonably good polish on both? What polishing compounds would you use, and how?

lithicbeads

• Administrator

Metals are vastly softer than the stones we use for the most part . With a hard stone you can polish the stone then go back and use compounds on brushes or muslin buffs without degrading the stone polish. The coarser buffing compound , such as bobbing compound,  can degrade some stone polishes.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA

When I do belt buckles I inlay Agate or other stone in White or Yellow Brass and then grind and polish the entire face, stone and metal with the usual 14k wheel and then Cerium oxide.  Depending on the stone I can also use a rouge on a buff afterwards but I get a high polish so normally don't feel the need for the rouge.  Normally stones are Agates and Jaspers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.