Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few recent pendants  (Read 1534 times)

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
A few recent pendants
« on: December 30, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »

I had just finished a month long wood project in the shop and finding it hard to stop the creative momentum I figured making stone pendants was a healthy way to stay in my shop.
There is a cylindrical one of really nice Noreena jasper, I made two about 1/2" diameter.  Not an easy shape to grind and sand/polish fair. Guaranteed to loose some skin. This is from the same stone I used on a folding buck knife I posted either.

Three are from the last of my stash of Royal Sahara jasper. I would buy more but as yet have not received any response to my inquiries from Oasis Prospecting.
The petal shaped one is my favorite due to the flow of the "grain". The rectangle chunk...I was trying not to remove too much and like many pieces it dictated the shape. The round one is 1 3/4" in diameter and also suggested its own shape. Its crowned on both sides with a thin edge. I plan to add chinese turquoise beads either side of this piece for the full length of the necklace, otherwise the piece is too big on its own.

This material traditionally does not photograph well. Tiny dots that are not really noticeable in person show up in the photos. I could try Photoshop but then at my age I am acutely aware of my remaining life hours and messing with Photoshop is not how I want  to spend them.

IMG_3078.jpg
*IMG_3078.jpg (109.93 kB . 450x600 - viewed 263 times)
IMG_3042.jpg
*IMG_3042.jpg (116.69 kB . 450x600 - viewed 244 times)
IMG_3052b.jpg
*IMG_3052b.jpg (101.22 kB . 450x600 - viewed 245 times)
IMG_3046.jpg
*IMG_3046.jpg (285.51 kB . 450x600 - viewed 232 times)

amrap1

Re: A few recent pendants
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 06:28:33 AM »

Nice!

Drilling the hole in that last one must have been fun....

Ed

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 04:05:28 PM »

The great thing about these is that you see the whole stone. Nothing hidden and the glory of the stone is shone front and back.

Felicia

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 08:28:28 PM »

Impressive material and work.   :WEEEE: :thumbsup: :hello2:

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 02:56:34 PM »

Beautiful!  That Noreena looks perfectly cylindrical.  That must have taken you a while to do.   :occasion14:
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 04:39:51 PM »

Really nice pendants. I'm sure they'll make someone happy.

I hope you hear from Oasis. I've wondered just how much of that rough they could possibly still have. Their eBay listings changed to being mostly parcels a few years ago, and their new listing emails seemed like they were auto-generated. We haven't ordered anything from them since then.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »

Vince,

I last heard from Janet of Oasis Prospecting 8-2017. In our conversation she mentioned they had mined 28 tons of the material. Hard to imagine its all gone unless they sold it as a single unit. I've sent her three emails with no response, the last was a few months ago. The web site is still up and Oasis Prospecting has a presence on Ebay. No product is displayed but I saw numerous reviews suggesting sales as recently as 12-2020. Kinda baffling. Janet knows I make pendants and I wanted to remind her that I need larger nodules but without contact I'm not ordering from the web site to find my order is the smaller pieces I can't use.

oh well....... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 38 queries.