Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garage Find  (Read 717 times)

Janerik

Garage Find
« on: January 04, 2023, 06:27:57 AM »

Hi All. My father was a jeweller and I have inherited some nice rock/mineral samples. Info on what they are and rarity etc would be welcomed. Thx.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Garage Find
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 06:57:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

I hope some of the folks who really know minerals see this. I'd like to know what they are, too.

Janerik

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 03:59:29 AM »

Hi Vince. Thank you for the welcome. So far I think I have identified the yellow crystal on white base as - sulphur on calcite. You can see various examples if googled but none as fine as this... unfortunately this forum isn't as active as I had anticipated.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 06:58:26 AM »

Yes, unfortunately. The previous owner tried to kill this forum. Too many members didn't come back when it was rescued.

There's a huge amount of information preserved in the archives - posted by some of the most knowledgable people in the lapidary world.

I hope you'll be able to use this knowledge base ( https://lapidaryforum.net/gemstone/ ) at some point.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »

Nice specimens. If you sell them to dealers remember that  you will get only a fraction of the retail price or they would have no incentive to buy them.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 12:26:04 PM »

Are there any labels or markings on these? Do you think there may be a notebook somewhere with the inventory?

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 06:46:46 PM »

Here is a great link to Quartz growth patterns with great images.  http://www.quartzpage.de/gro_text.html   The second piece with dark quartz looks like a piece I have. I was told they call it Platy Quartz. Anyway, check out the link for such beauties as Artichoke Quartz that also is similar to one of your pieces.

Janerik

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 04:00:30 AM »

Thank you 55fossil. I'll take a look at the quartz website when I get a moment. The pictures I posted are a fraction of what is there.
Many amethyst pieces inc pipes and different shades plus Selenite crystal and one made up of small hex shaped structures.

AgateLicker

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 08:51:19 AM »

Welcome! The big black could be morion from California. Some excellent pieces have come out of the Tahoe area.

HoosierGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 12:16:50 PM »

Cassiterite and Sulfur?
JW
CWO2, USMC Retired
Laconia, Indiana
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 41 queries.