Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: does old tumbler polish go bad?  (Read 1258 times)

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
does old tumbler polish go bad?
« on: February 16, 2020, 06:37:21 PM »

I recently picked up some old Lortone pre-polish and polish at a garage sale.  Both are white powder and came in tin cans.  I just got done running a batch through the pre-polish and polish, each for a week in the rotary tumbler (with plastic pellets).  I'm not impressed with the results I got.  I'm used to using TXP or various aluminum oxide which produces a much better finish.  So, my question is, does this stuff go bad over time?  Or, is it a compound that requires a different approach?  There's very little information on the aged labels on the cans, just Lortone Pre-Polish and Lortone Polish.  Does anyone have any idea what Lortone might have been passing off as polish 30-50 years ago?  I also noted that the polish, when mixed with water, was very white... like white paint.  Usually rinsing the drum is enough, but I had to sponge this stuff out.  Any ideas what I'm dealing with?

Kaljaia

Re: does old tumbler polish go bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 07:25:31 PM »

Sounds like cerium oxide? The "can't get it out of the barrel" part at least! I haven't used mine in a while but it seemed like it always left a film. Have you tried doing a 24 hr wash cycle after the polish?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 05:15:31 AM »

Abrasives do not break down over time.  Polishing compounds are just very fine abrasive.  More likely it is just a cheaper material.  If it doesn't work will for hard stones it may be a better choice for softer ones.

bobby1

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »

I always use a little cheap liquid dish soap in every step in the tumbler. It makes the cleanup much easier.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »

There were a lot of cheap products in yesteryear. Eventually  better graded oxides came along but cerium of any grade can be frustrating at times.I use corncob with diamon powder in my polish tumblers now  with stunning results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 35 queries.