Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CO in pits?  (Read 927 times)

denverkris

CO in pits?
« on: November 21, 2018, 08:56:19 AM »

Hi all, I feel like this is a stupid question, but I'll take the risk. I'm finishing up a cab today that has a few tiny pits in the surface. While polishing with CO, it gets into the tiny pits. How the f do I get this out? Not sure if it's something I shouldn't worry about, but it definitely bothers me as I know it's there. My husband suggested putting in the ultrasonic cleaner, but I didn't think that sounded like a very good idea. Help??? It's an agate if it matters.

rocks2dust

Re: CO in pits?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »

Agates are fairly tough stones. However, I've had good results from soaking in warm water with dishwashing liquid (Dawn is preferred by many), followed by a scrub with an old toothbrush. A little souring powder (Comet is preferred by some) on the bristles usually does away with stubborn bits, and a sharp straight pin or Exacto blade can be used to tease out anything that remains without damaging the stone.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »

Another simple option is to use the garden hose on full pressure and set the spray to the highest mist setting.  This makes a very strong fine spray that will often dislodge the particles especially if you move the cab around so the spray hits from different angles.

Steve

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »

I use the uoltrasonic cleaner on hard stones and have never had a problem.

olgguy

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »

If you want take trouble, seal the surface before polishing.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 04:16:29 PM »

I use the ultrasonic, too, if I have that problem.  Usually gets the crap out.  I usually put it dome side down in the basket.  If you have an ultrasonic that heats up, that seems to help some.
Robin

ileney

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »

For agate, I use the heavy duty heated ultrasonic at the studio where I take jewelry making classes. It works on all but the worst stones I also use a waterpic at home.

denverkris

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestion! The dawn/spray/toothbrush worked pretty well. Next time I will give the Ultrasonic a go. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Jhon P

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 10:08:49 AM »

After doing one stone, if you do another of the same material seal it.
I will use ca glue at 400 grit ( make sure it is dry and clean) than re sand it. Than you won’t need to clean the pits unless more show up while sanding
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.