Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polishing Tiffany Stone  (Read 1980 times)

jha789

• John H Allison
    • Hill Country Lapidary
Polishing Tiffany Stone
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to get a good polish on Tiffany Stone. Most of it that I have cut only takes a fairly dull polish. I have been using mostly tin oxide.
John - hillcountrylapidary.com

freeformcabs

• freeformcabs by Shain Mayer
Re: Polishing Tiffany Stone
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »

The good Tiffany stone will polish like glass using similar techniques to agate or jasper.  But since the material is classified a rock and not a mineral. There are all types of hardness zones in one piece so polish can be a bear. Best and most even result will come from sealing if you cutting the lower grade porous material.
~Shain

Mark

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:59:34 AM »

So true.  Tiffany ranges from pieces that are just clumps of dust that disintegrate when you look at them, to pieces that are like super hard and look like agate.  I have more of the crappy stuff than i would like and its pretty useless to work with.  The better stuff that really takes a shine tends to be expensive, often really expensive.  I once bought a batch from someone that included pieces that they had polished nicely on one side, but where all the other sides were soft and crumbly.  They were really strange and i still have them in the basement somewhere, unless they have broken down into dust piles since I last saw them.

Amethyst Rose

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »

As much of the material is a mixture of opal and fluorite it can be difficult to get an even glassy polish.  The best results I have managed are with Linde A with wet leather.  Even this will not get a glass polish on all the pieces because, as has been mentioned, it is to porous.

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose

ChristopherAnthony

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »

I have had success using Cerium on leather.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.