Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Coral  (Read 1500 times)

Windenzee

Black Coral
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:15:58 AM »

Hi All,
I have recently acquired a piece of Black Coral ( legally collected after a hurricane on the BVI by a family member) and was wondering at the cost of buying a piece of the same size.
The outer coating is rough (similar to sand paper). Size is 1/4 inch thick and 12 inches long. A very nice piece with the inner rings closed. Is a basic straightish piece.
Any input would be great.
Did work some while I lived on the Islands 34 years ago. 
Thanks for the help
Karen

55fossil

Re: Black Coral
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »

Without a picture we can only guess...  WAG.    With a picture it is still a toss p but some will be able to give an educated guess. Weight / density of the coral are also big factors. If you can polish an end it will show whether the coral is gem grade or ....   hope this helps

Windenzee

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 12:50:51 AM »

Thank you. Will try to get some pics and also do a quick polish

ileney

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »

"If you can polish an end it will show whether the coral is gem grade."

Hi 55Fossil, I am curious how to tell this. What defines "gem grade" in black coral?

I have a much thicker, short piece that my dad either bought or possibly my mother could have collected, but it dates back about 50 years, I believe. It's not really polished or worked. (They also had a large fan of thin black coral framed under glass when I was a child, but I think they may have thrown it away or sold it when they moved 35 years ago.)

Thank you for any information.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »

Ileney;  "IMO".  Well, Gem Grade seems to vary by the person although it is defined. Most "gem grade" rock collectors who buy from me have simple rules: No pits or tiny fractures anywhere on the slab. Rough rock you have to guess a bit. Is there any crazing? So an end polish shows at least a bit and it should take a polish like a show car with 10 coats of paint. There is a lot of information on the internet from respectable sources such as the GIA on how to judge gemstones. Many of the rules apply to jasper that apply to gemstones. If there is any type of treatment then it is not likely to be considered Top Gem. Turquoise gets an exemption from many people but "Top Gem" means no treatments of any type if you are going by the book such as GIA.
    There are still a dozen other variables that affect value. Color in coral is a big deal. Some pinks and the deepest reds are hugely collectible. The diameter and total size of the rough is also a big factor. Is it pretty, does it take your breath away, did you reach for your wallet before you asked the price?????   
   I also sell collector grade material that is expensive but does not always meet gem grade. Much of my finest Fantasy Plume Agate has pits and has small internal cracks. But the stone has such an incredible image, a superb gloss finish and the shape fits the image, that it is still a collector cabochon. One of my finest pieces of plume agate was in Lapidary Journal a couple years ago. Since I mined the material myself, cut the cabochon and did the silverwork I was a bit pleased. There was also 12 pages of my Deer Sky Picture Jasper in that issue.

MYTHS:   Old stock is always valuable. Not if it is butt ugly.
              Bigger is better.  Not if you cannot get it into your saw or afford to ship it.
              Rare is valuable.  Again, if it ain't pretty most people do not want it.
              I know this is Owyhee Jasper because  XXXX told me it was.  He would never lie and knows more than anyone else about rocks.
    Always take a deep breath when dealing with rocks and keep a good sense of humor. I am still learning and this is just my opinion. But it is based on many years as a miner, seller and cutter of agates and jaspers.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »

Hi All,
I have recently acquired a piece of Black Coral ( legally collected after a hurricane on the BVI by a family member) and was wondering at the cost of buying a piece of the same size.
The outer coating is rough (similar to sand paper). Size is 1/4 inch thick and 12 inches long. A very nice piece with the inner rings closed. Is a basic straightish piece.
Any input would be great.
Did work some while I lived on the Islands 34 years ago. 
Thanks for the help
Karen
Karen, there's some knowledgeable coral-specific info at this link, especially  in Kerensky's post.   It may not answer all your questions but I hope it helps.

https://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15137

Slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 07:57:10 AM »

Black coral is an endangered species and has been illegal so sell in the US for a long time.  As far as I know, anyone selling it, regardless of source is committing a crime.

rocks2dust

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

Black coral is an endangered species and has been illegal so sell in the US for a long time.  As far as I know, anyone selling it, regardless of source is committing a crime.
That is correct, except for black coral that has been harvested under a license issued by the State of Hawaii (as far as I recall, there is only a single license holder: Maui Divers). In addition, shipping internationally requires a CITES certificate from the government that certifies that the piece was harvested under regulations that insure that the species' viability has not been harmed. Coral is getting more difficult to sell, as there are other corals constantly being added to the bans. There's some info at US Fish & Wildlife and CITES websites.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 41 queries.