Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next Question : Trim Saws  (Read 930 times)

Downwindtracker2

Next Question : Trim Saws
« on: February 08, 2020, 11:38:09 AM »

Or more to the point , trim saw blade. I have finished with the grinder/polishers, all six are now set up with the progression of grits. Yeah.  Now it's the saws turn, one 6" trim saw that the club had is ready to go, another my wife suggested to run with water so I'm mounting it on plywood. We had bought/given a set of equipment and the second one came from that group.  But I noticed it had been run with water before and the blade is rusty, not just surface either. What effect will this have or do we have to replace it?

As usual , thanks for your help, Ray

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Next Question : Trim Saws
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 12:39:03 PM »

If it's rusted to the point of disintegration you're the kind of guy who'd obviously replace it. If it's just pitted and ugly I'd use it. If you're unsure about it pull it off, clean it up completely, then evaluate the integrity of the blade. Don't want it blowing up with someone standing in front of it.

With good 6" blades still running in the $50 range you could keep this one as a spare in case someone trashes the new one. Just to keep the saw available while waiting on a replacement.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 07:37:09 PM »

I like the mean green blades as they are cheap and seem to cut well.A rusty blade can mean getting a substantial burr on the blade while cutting and getting a finger nicked badly.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 07:18:39 AM »

Good point about the burr.

It's common to "trim" fingernails or feel a hot spot on a fingertip with a 6" saw when slicing small chunks. I've never run into a burr like that, but you can bet I'll keep that in mind in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 33 queries.