Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking a solution for flat lap weights.  (Read 716 times)

Ryaly2dogs

Seeking a solution for flat lap weights.
« on: February 12, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »

Hello forum:  I've done some Googling to little avail pursuing a solution to procuring (or making) inexpensive weights to help speed up the lapping process by applying more vertical pressure to the piece.  I am working with Covington 16 inch vibrating laps and 20-inch Rose Reciprolaps.  I've done the melted wax with fishing weights and consider that a bit laborious and difficult to clean grit between steps.  I still do two sided tape with small lead weights (works really well, but I only have two such weights). I have also used ankle weights wrapped in plastic bags for larger pieces (worked OK, sometimes fell off and made a mess).  I used to double up similar shaped slabs also using two sided tape but that did not generate enough down force suggesting lead or other heavy substance if really what I seek.

Does anyone else have a good solution they care to share?  I am sure thee are great ideas out there!

thanks in advance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 27 queries.