Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dopping a smooth stone  (Read 1012 times)

Mossagatemac

Dopping a smooth stone
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »

Hi everyone, I've been grinding and polishing cabs for a few months now.  I ran in to two pieces I'm having a heck of a time getting to stick to the dop stick.  One is a slab of agate and they're both pretty smooth on the side I'm trying to dop.  I'm using a dop pot with green wax, and heating up both the stone and wax.  I tug on the rock after everything is cool and it feels solid but then I go to the coarse grind and it pops off super easy. 

I thought it might be because the rock is smooth, so I roughed it up on the 220 wheel a little but it didn't seem to help much.  I could try that some more but didn't want to ruin the smooth side if I didn't have to. 

Is there a different dopping technique I should be using? 

Kaljaia

Re: Dopping a smooth stone
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 09:22:58 PM »

Are the stones super clean? I have some pop off and suspect it's residual cutting oil interfering with adhesion.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Felicia

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:46:35 PM »

Try cleaning the stones with denatured alcohol or even acetone. (Good ventilation). Another problem may be in reusing the wax. After a number of heatings it gets brittle or doesn't stick as well. Clean it off and apply new. It should stick okay even to a smooth stone, use only the smallest amount of pressure. I hope this is helpful.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 05:25:33 AM »

Time to change to fresh wax.

Mossagatemac

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »

Washed the stone some more and found some fresh wax.  It worked!  Will try the other problem stone in a few days. 

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 07:17:30 AM »

This is a faceting trick, but I use it for dopping my cabs as well:

Dissolve some shellac in a tiny bottle of denatured alcohol (color will be light yellow).  Use a small craft paintbrush to paint some of the solution on the back of the cab and let it dry (takes just a minute).  Dop as usual.  I have never had a cab come off a dop with this method.  Sometimes it takes a bit more freezing in the freezer for it to pop off the dop when your done because it really holds!
Robin

Felicia

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 12:04:37 PM »

Sounds like a good tip. Have to try that one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 40 queries.