Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my 14" slab saw  (Read 1319 times)

William Phillips

my 14" slab saw
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:25:29 PM »

I have a Panther Lortone 14" slab saw. My problem is the rock I am cutting gets hot as does the oil, and saw blade. I have enough oil to cover about 3/8 inch of the blade. I have cut mostly Montana agate, picture jasper and jade. I have used a cutting stick to clean or sharpen the blade. Is my saw blade worn out?

Thanks
Bill

Stonemon

Re: my 14" slab saw
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »

Those are tough rocks. I have a Lortone LS 12 and when it gets to where it is misting and heating I remove the blade and turn it around. This seems to get it cutting again.
Also when using a cutting stick, it is my experience that often multiple passes are required to sharpen a very dull blade.
As long as the sintered part of the blade is still there and wider than the core you should be able to get it cutting.

Bill

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 07:59:30 PM »

Is your oil clean or are you running mud? I too see heating and misting when the going gets tough but reversing the blade. running a few softer rocks through and adding a bit more oil may all help you plow through that tough rock.  The other option is to slow down your feed rate. Slow feed rates of 1 inch per 7 minutes are best but for problem blades etc. 10 minutes per inch would be better. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 08:56:18 PM »

Jade will screw up many saws and blades.I would avoid jade if possible. My 24 struggles with jade with a new blade but deals with jasper quickly.Jade is not just hard it is tough, it is not cryptocrystalline or crystalline as are most lapidary roughs. The felted nature of the jade adds to the hardness. I use an ultrasonic drill and agates just get ground away by the bit , you can feel it giving way. Jade sort of absorbs much of the grinding shock and the headway is slow.Many jade cutters use drop saws as they are easier to get the force against the blade low enough to cut without dishing the blade.

William Phillips

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 04:10:41 PM »

Thanks for the information. I turned the saw blade around and cut the cutting stick several times. I then put a piece of petrified wood back in and made 3 slabs with no heat and no problem.  I did order a new blade from Minnesota Lapidary Supply so I am all set if I need to use the new one.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.