Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any ideas on a good 16 inch saw blade?  (Read 1688 times)

jha789

• John H Allison
    • Hill Country Lapidary
Any ideas on a good 16 inch saw blade?
« on: April 03, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »

I am thinking about getting a new blade for my 16" saw. Any thoughts on a really good blade would be appreciated. I see there are cheap blades these days, but I am suspicious. I have some material that I want to cut without losing too much material, so as thin as is practical for 16" blade is a factor. I use mineral oil in my saw. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.
John - hillcountrylapidary.com

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
Re: Any ideas on a good 16 inch saw blade?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:39:35 AM »

for over 50 yrs. iv used MK-Diamond blades, in the family's shop.  297 are fine, though the 301 / 303 Gem King,  are better for everyday use. key to long life with blades. Is to run 7-9 minutes to the inch. of vise feed.   blades sold by diamond pacific are the same blades.  use a coolant with a  high flash point.

Jack
Silicate life form

jha789

• John H Allison
    • Hill Country Lapidary
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »

Thanks for the info on blades. You mentioned oil with a high flash point. Currently I am using Crystal Plus Tech Grade Mineral Oil 70T and do not know the flash point. Any thoughts on this. It seems to be working fine.
Anyway, any specific oil you like? I recently read someone using UltraCruz® Mineral Oil Light and it is inexpensive (livestock laxative). Do you know anything about this oil.
John - hillcountrylapidary.com

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »

MSDS.  materiel  safety data sheet. I use  Chevron shingle oil, It has a flash point of  351. degree f.
All product are listed in the MSDS web site  i used it in hazmat response.
And all business are to have MSDS listings on are  items they sale.

Silicate life form

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:46:35 PM »

John,

I purchase Highland Parks 18" segmented and couldn't be happier. Cuts anything and the price is right !

http://www.hplapidary.com/en/highland-park-segmented-blades

Cheers,

Kent

Grayco

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »

Thanks for the info on blades. You mentioned oil with a high flash point. Currently I am using Crystal Plus Tech Grade Mineral Oil 70T and do not know the flash point. Any thoughts on this. It seems to be working fine.
Anyway, any specific oil you like? I recently read someone using UltraCruz® Mineral Oil Light and it is inexpensive (livestock laxative). Do you know anything about this oil.

I'm using the mineral oil.  It has no odor.  I don't worry about inhaling a little mist (if it happens).  I have used shingle oil to paint a cedar fence, but I don't think I would want to breathe any mist from it.  The equine laxative is safe for health and fire exposure.  It's also relatively inexpensive. 4 gallons for $12 per gallon and free shipping.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

jakesrocks

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 08:48:48 AM »

BD 303 S. They cut clean & smooth. Won't use anything else on my 16" saw.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 39 queries.