Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Glue Dopping - Screws instead of Nails  (Read 9919 times)

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
Re: Super Glue Dopping - Screws instead of Nails
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »

Gotta chime in here with my tried and proven dop method... basically, dowel sticks of various width, cut to about 5" lengths. Painted with some colorful enamel paint to waterproof the wood. Then the secret sauce, E6000 glue. Put a dab of glue on the end of the dowel and press onto the back of the cab. It's sticky enough that it will stand up straight until it dries (coupla hours). When you're done cabbing, simply use your thumb to pry the stone from the stick. It's a rubbery glue and if any sticks to the stone, simply scrape it off with a razor blade or you can even peel it off with a finger nail. I guess the only downside is the wait for the glue to dry.

kenny

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »

I make and use these they are aluminum dop handles with a set screw that holds the dop head of various sizes. Nails and bolts will also work. I have made handles up to 1" diameter. The normal dop heads are 1/4" stem with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inches heads. I can make them to any desired size

rocks2dust

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 10:08:21 AM »

Somebody used to sell aluminum dops for cyanoacrylate glue. They had flat heads in various sizes with notches and holes drilled through so that the acetone could get into the interior and dissolve the glue much faster. Not sure what happened to them, as I haven't seen them for several years. Was a good idea.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 31 queries.