Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inheritance  (Read 1839 times)

timmycuts

Inheritance
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:39:58 AM »

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to all of this but am very eager to learn. My grandfather passed away a few years ago and left me a few slab saws and a lortone lu6x-130. As a kid I would always watch and was fascinated with the art. now as an adult I am intimidated with the technically. The Lortone is in good working order but need ls new wheels. I was wondering what the best beginners set up is for this machine. Any other advice to start up and get going would be great.  Until then I shall scour the internet.

Thanks in advance,  Tim

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Inheritance
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »

Welcome to the forum. could you post a picture of the machine  please?

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »

Yes it would be nice to have a photo of your machine.  Google the model number and you will come up with the instructions for the machine.  The grinding and polishing side (6") would probably accommodate a 6" 80 or 100 grit diamond wheel, and an expand wheel for belts (these could range from 200 to 4000 or higher especially if you spend for 3 M diamond belts.  The end polishing disk is nice for final polish with cromoxide or cerium oxide.  Its a good and adaptable machine in my perspective.  You can stay with silicon carbide wheel and silicon belts if you want to economize, but its not that much more to go diamond and use carefully to produce wonderful results.  Enjoy and remember the link to your predecessor who bought and loved the machine. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

timmycuts

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 05:52:32 PM »

Hey Timmycuts- welcome to a great hobby and pastime; IMHO the best way to spend some nights while avoiding the "couch and TV set" syndrome.  I too was blessed with the grandpa who opened my young eyes with lapidary then basically left me his shop to carry on his legacy; his picture hangs over my garage shop.  Peruano's words are to be revered; you have the opportunity of carrying forth a family tradition while also adding your own personal touch to it and learning and growing in the process. 

We have one of your Lortone units at my local club; I used it two days ago, they are very handy.  I agree with the 100 mesh diamond grinding wheel and silicon carbide (SIC) belts on an expando rubber wheel to start out as it is very inexpensive, helps you refine your technique, and whets your appetite.  It this was meant to be, you'll likely move to diamond products.

Kingsley North is a good web vendor that sends out catalogues to get you familiar with what is out there and available; and has good products/pricing.  Also, the single biggest change for me was taking the plunge and joining the local rock club where I quickly learned of the networking that goes on towards identifying lapidary equipment for huge discounts; locations for rock hounding, trading with members, field trips, etc.

Carpe diem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 36 queries.