Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things you Find in the Hills - Old Car Edition  (Read 1464 times)

Kaljaia

Things you Find in the Hills - Old Car Edition
« on: March 22, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »

I usually grab quick photos osf odd things I find in the hills and have built quite a collection :P this was last night's find, which I'd heard about for years but never gotten to. Turns out it's just close enough to be easy access and just far enough that most people miss it, which is probably why it's still there!

I don't know its history, but as it's at the bottom of a hill off what would have been a very well-traveled road in the 1920s it may have just taken a tumble and been left where it landed.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Things you Find in the Hills - Old Car Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »

HOLY SCHNIKES!
I know of folks that wouldn't mind hauling that beauty out of there and repairing it /rebuilding it.
Wood spokes on the wheels? 
That's a very old Truck frame - my best guess from vehicles I've seen folks working on is circa 1920's-1930's.  So it's in to 90-100 year old range.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 05:47:11 PM »

I remember seeing a '27 Chevrolet coupe stored in my uncle's garage .It wasn't his.  It had wood spokes in it's wheels. It only had 29K on it. This would have been in '62.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »

Not sure if anyone has come accros this one in Graham Pass Southern CA.   Of course people have used it for target practice for ages.  I actually thought it added to the old thing and really made it look like Bonnie and Clydes end.

Not sure how it will show up here.  I did some photo work on the car and added some flames from my campfire to the image and gave the car some reds to make the look.  The original pic is 33 inches wide printed as a mini poster.

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 08:41:43 AM »

Nice one!

We think this one was a 1924 Buick, http://www.collectorcarads.com/Buick-Touring/33471?fbclid=IwAR1JvV1c5uYoqjOWDoiRY3jSI41eMdHtjZaZ7RIGuv4v4Vq4Dl6ZaKSsAhM based on the dashboard configuration and remaining body.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »

I'm taking a risk, but I'd place my guess for the coupe to be a 37' Chevrolet, based on the overall configuration of the body.  Alas the missing grill and hood would confirm or eliminate this supposition.  I courted my wife in a 37 Chevy.
The touring car would appear to have a short block for a buick, which I would guess would have been an 8 cylinder.  I can't see the entire exhaust manifold but it looks to be a 6. Now I'll have to go look it up. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »

Whoops, I guessed wrong, Buick was sporting a 6 cylinder in that time period. Live and learn. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

safossils

• Walt's Music
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »

Not so old, but lying in the bottom of Cienega Creek....
Walter G Farmer
Guitar pick maker and musician from Tucson AZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 41 queries.