Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advise as to how to remove sanding scratches  (Read 1324 times)

MineralMike

Need advise as to how to remove sanding scratches
« on: December 11, 2016, 11:00:50 PM »

I use a wet angle grinder with 4 inch diamond pads to polish slabs of all sizes. I polish mostly Jasper and agates. I start with 100 grit to remove saw blade marks but inevitably I leave scratch marks. How do I get rid of them?  Should I keep using the 100 grit that I used to scratch the rock to begin with or move on tp a finer grit (200, 400 etc  )

Also any tips on how to avoid leaving scratch marks in the first place will be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Need advise as to how to remove sanding scratches
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:49:33 AM »

There is no way not to leave scratches with normal 100 grit. Keep moving to smaller (finer) grits and remove big scratches by creating littler ones.  Eventually all scratches will disappear to the naked eye.  seriously, 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Jhon P

Re: Need advise as to how to remove sanding scratches
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:09:22 AM »

Hey Mike, I use the wet grinder diamond pads for making spheres. Make sure that all of the scratches are sanded out before going to the next grit. If you use 100 than go to 200 be sure that all the 100 grit scratches are out before you go to 400. Sometimes I will mark the rock with a felt pen to see when the scratches are gone (as long as it is not porous )
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 31 queries.