Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New jaspers from the Owyhee's, honest  (Read 1920 times)

55fossil

New jaspers from the Owyhee's, honest
« on: June 25, 2016, 07:22:11 PM »

Here are some new cabochons from material I dug in the past 60 days. These are all from areas not dug in recent history. The black and white material showed signs of past discovery many years back. The jasper is from a new location not previously dug since the Paiute left the area. There is a lot of sign Indians lived here and pot hunters have been through the area and stripped the artifacts from the hills.
    I am calling the jasper Blue Owyhee Jasper. The black and white material has no name. It seems to vary from a basalt, basanite, brittle almost obsidian like and has some jasper intrusions. Most of what I dig is junk.....  Here are some pictures.  I will also post some pictures of rough and slabs in another section.  neal

55fossil

Re: New jaspers from the Owyhee's, honest
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »

Couple more pictures,  Neal.

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »

Nice stuff. Nothing like that do dig up around here, just a bunch of Mariposite.

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »

Very nice material. Is the black very fine grain? I wonder if it's related to the black material from here- fine-grain, hard as agate, white lines of quartz.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:20:34 PM »

I wondered the same thing about the black rough.Nice collecting.

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 04:57:11 AM »

Kaljaia?   Where is here?    This is from the eastern Oregon part of the Owyhee's in Oregon. It was definitely formed in a lava flow near a vent. Each piece I dig is a little different from the others. Some is brittle, some like jasper and others like basalt. Very few pieces have the qualities needed to cut good cabochons. It would be cheaper to buy good rough but I love the hunt and to cut cabochons from my own finds. While my rock business is not a charity, it certainly seems as if it is a non-profit......    Neal

Jhon P

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 07:13:26 AM »

I really like how you picked shapes that are compatable with the patterns
Great job

Orrum

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 07:21:14 AM »

Hey Neal I envy you the freedom and knowledge necessary to wander the Owhyees finding grest rocks! The blue is awesome and the black and white in the pic looks just like Sacred White Buffalo turquoise from the Royston mine! I know it's a different material but it sure looks good! Keep on showing us your adventures please??!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 42 queries.