Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a 20 inch blade in a 24 inch saw ?????  (Read 2385 times)

55fossil

Using a 20 inch blade in a 24 inch saw ?????
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »

Yeah, most people are trying to use a bigger blade in a smaller saw.   I am looking at buying two new saws, possibly a 20 and 24 inch. But, can you slow the blade speed down, add more oil so the blade is kept wet and just put a smaller blade on the 24 inch saw when you do not cut the big stuff?   The reason I ask is the 24 inch blade really eats your rock up and I have a space shortage for slab saws.

Then of course, do you buy a Covington, Highland Park or ??????   

Slabbercabber

Re: Using a 20 inch blade in a 24 inch saw ?????
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »

My 24" saw almost always has an 18" blade in it.  If I'm feeling particular I take the time to change the drive pulley but most of the time I just run it as is and reduce the feed pressure.  For a slow feed such as a screw I wouldn't bother.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:35:20 PM »

my 18" saw always has a 20" blade in it lol :WEEEE: :LOLOL:

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »

I slab all the time with a .10 inch thick segmented 24 inch blade.  My 18 inch has a .85 inch thick blade so there is not a lot of difference. 

Six turns is a bit over .24 inch thick on the 24 inch saw five turns about .20 inch.  In fact I finished cutting the piece you sent to me - all done on the 24 inch saw so you will see what 5 turns and what six turns look like and how smooth the slabs are.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »

Most of the concern is which two saw sizes to buy. I really like the idea of having a 24 inch saw but rarely need something that big. But with the choice of 16, 18, 20 and 24 inch saws I have to decide on which 2 to buy.  With the 16 inch saw I can get a sintered rim which really cuts great. Once you hit 18 inch you need the notch rim blades. Also, the blades cost more and you need more oil but it is not a huge cost difference at the end of the year. My space allotment is about 10 x 14 feet for saws so I can stay inside and cut during the rainy season.
      Since I just moved back to the Portland, Or region (Yamhill) that is half the year. It will be a couple or more months before I have my new shop finished. It will be adjoined by a 12 x 24 foot shop for making cabochons and doing silver work. I have a budget that says it is a DIY project from top to bottom.   More saw comments welcome on what brand and what size to buy.

thanks all,  neal

PS:  Michael, I cannot wait to see what was in the rock, thank you

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »

If I had to do with one saw it would be the 18 inch as that saw will easily run a 16 inch blade and most 18's will also take a 20 inch blade.

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »

What type of saw would that be at 18 inches? I'm just starting my lap. Shop up and have to share it with my carving/wood side so space is at a premium.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »

My saws are Barranca's but I do not recommend them unless they have made a few corrections to their design.  I have writeen articles about the problems and the needed easy fixes but they basically do not care.  GREAT overall design, but several easily factory correctable serious flaws, and cut real smooth once "fixed".

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »

Ok thank you, that's the info I'm in need of bc I have already gone thru so many carvers just to find the ones that work and don't need constant tinkering bc of bad engineering. I have actually had some unravel on me while I have been polishing stones. 😠 And then they have the nerve to tell me it's my fault, I don't know what I'm doing, won't refund my cash but after all is done I have written proof by engineer that I was right!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Michael52

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 06:19:30 PM »

My saws are Barranca's but I do not recommend them unless they have made a few corrections to their design.  I have writeen articles about the problems and the needed easy fixes but they basically do not care.  GREAT overall design, but several easily factory correctable serious flaws, and cut real smooth once "fixed".
I've looked online for the articles without success (presumably in lapidary club newsletters).  Wondering if you might indicate what the Barranca saw problems are, with the fixes?  Thanks very much.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 45 queries.