Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Claiming in Oregon  (Read 5038 times)

Kaljaia

Claiming in Oregon
« on: February 07, 2020, 09:47:56 PM »

Not sure where to put this.
I think I'm almost done with the claim process.

The county accepted my notice of location for lode claim paper (and money) and sent it back, and BLM wants a copy of it plus a map (and money.) Not totally sorted on what each wants every year yet, and it's not cheap to set up the first time (well, it's average compared to anything in lapidary,) but I like the material and am excited to see the process through. The BLM letter gets sent on Tuesday. Aside from a copy of the county-recorded lode notice, a topographic map with claim borders marked (and money,) anything else that should go their direction? I am the first person to claim in decades in my county, and BLM said they'll accept it and get back to me sometime next year if I did anything wrong :P oh bureaucracy. It's a t-egg claim, which our local BLM geologist said is fine to claim, but oddly nowhere in the paperwork does it ask what I'm claiming, just where it is and what I want to name it!

BLM was *shocked* when I asked if I needed to wait for them to approve the paperwork before I started digging. They said they were at least seven months behind on looking at claim paperwork and no one ever waits, so just get started and they'll send me a notice next year if anything's wonky and they want updated forms (and money.)

(on the same note should I post a step-by-step here if anyone else wants to know the process thus far?)

Material in question:

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Stonemon

Re: Claiming in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 08:20:34 AM »

Cool Erika!
I was a geo-tech when I was younger and staked a lot of claims for large mining companies. I have also held many small gold claims over the years and got a lot of fun and satisfaction prospecting and pocket hunting.
I look forward to seeing more of the material you will be getting from your new digs.

Bill

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »

Are you on state land or - BLM

BLM, starts at 333 3rd st. portland oregon.
Claims run 120.00 pre-claim each years.

State land-  https://www.oregon.gov/dsl/WW/Documents/RiversClosedPlacerMining.pdf

Do I need a permit for collecting wood, rocks or gravel in a stream?
If the stream is designated Essential Salmon Habitat you may collect up to one cubic yard of material per year using non-motorized equipment without needing a removal-fill permit. If the stream is a designated State Scenic Waterway, you will need a scenic waterway removal-fill permit for collecting materials. For all other waterways, you may collect up to 50 cubic yards of material per year without needing a removal-fill permit.
More information

https://www.oregon.gov/dsl/Board/Documents/slb_apr2015_pkt.pdf
Silicate life form

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »

Are you on state land or - BLM

BLM, starts at 333 3rd st. portland oregon.
Claims run 120.00 pre-claim each years.

State land-  https://www.oregon.gov/dsl/WW/Documents/RiversClosedPlacerMining.pdf

Do I need a permit for collecting wood, rocks or gravel in a stream?
If the stream is designated Essential Salmon Habitat you may collect up to one cubic yard of material per year using non-motorized equipment without needing a removal-fill permit. If the stream is a designated State Scenic Waterway, you will need a scenic waterway removal-fill permit for collecting materials. For all other waterways, you may collect up to 50 cubic yards of material per year without needing a removal-fill permit.
More information

https://www.oregon.gov/dsl/Board/Documents/slb_apr2015_pkt.pdf

BLM.
It's $76 to record a claim in my county and $225 to record it with the BLM, after that it's the yearly fee, so expensive buy-in. I am going to be practicing "no trace" mining, more or less, as there's only foot access and the folks with the grazing leases won't be happy if I leave holes everywhere. I think I can break even, or close, on this bed, as it's unique and has a lot of potential as a lapidary material as well as thunder egg specimens.
- Erika

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 09:58:19 AM »

Lets us know when you start selling.

Sandsave

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »

Sounds like your going to be up and running and then the BLM will side track you somehow.
Looks like some of the material is big enough to sphere, let me know I’ll try some out.

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 06:04:44 PM »

Sounds like your going to be up and running and then the BLM will side track you somehow.
Looks like some of the material is big enough to sphere, let me know I’ll try some out.

Big blocks of a green rhyolite with common opal and eggs, looks like it would sphere pretty well! There's also a pink and purple rhyolite that is glassier but more brittle.

Lets us know when you start selling.

Will do!

Sent in BLM paperwork today. Delayed slightly to make sure I had a map with the metes and bounds on it. It's a simple polygon shape so hopefully they'll accept it and go. I can start using the claim when the check clears, and probably won't hear back on paperwork until next fall.
- Erika

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:22:31 PM »

How exciting, Erika!  Good luck on all the blasted paperwork and I hope you hit the mother lode of thundereggs! 
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 08:42:10 PM »

Oregon Spice is what I would call it as it sure is spicey. Nice !

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 08:50:23 AM »

We are all stoked for you Erika.  As a geologist,staking and operating a claim is basically "something I have always wanted to do but not got to doing it".  Good hunting with the t-eggs and let us know if you plan to sell on this forum as I and I imagine lots of others would be happy to offset your costs with purchases.  I would love to try a few to make spheres out of.

Kaljaia

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 06:46:20 PM »

We are all stoked for you Erika.  As a geologist,staking and operating a claim is basically "something I have always wanted to do but not got to doing it".  Good hunting with the t-eggs and let us know if you plan to sell on this forum as I and I imagine lots of others would be happy to offset your costs with purchases.  I would love to try a few to make spheres out of.

How exciting, Erika!  Good luck on all the blasted paperwork and I hope you hit the mother lode of thundereggs! 

Oregon Spice is what I would call it as it sure is spicey. Nice !

Thanks very much for the encouragement! I goofed and didn't send the paperwork by certified mail, but if they cash the check then they've received it. :P And yes, you will all be the first to know about it once that happens. It's named "Dragonskin" on the paperwork, in reference to the very organic, scale-like pattern on the outer layer of the eggs. About two days after I submitted the paperwork to the county, I found a very nice big surface deposit just off the claim, that I'd missed up a little draw. Oops! But it's given me a nice place to take my neighbors and coworkers, so they all know about a close egg deposit that isn't on the claim! Looks to be mostly fused crystal eggs there, not as much botryoidal.
- Erika

Kaljaia

Re: Claiming in Oregon - Update!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 01:11:26 PM »

And an update, Dragonskin's a go! It's in LR2000 database as an active lode claim and I have my serial number! It may be a few months yet before I hear back on map validity, etc. For now, it's an active, paid-for claim. I sent in two topographics with the paperwork, one showing the claim in relation to section boundaries and one with the metes/bounds marked out on the claim outline. Hoping that's enough data.

As for the name, it's a reference to the incredibly weird organic and scale-like outer texture of the eggs, and the equally fun bubbly botryoidal on the inside!

My next job is cutting enough to have an "average." The temps outside are still a little too cold to run the saw, so I'll be trimming up and polishing some of the bots to see how it behaves as a lapidary material. I think it'll be pretty interesting!
Cutting-wise, I am going to do my level best to cut longways, not crossways, on these eggs. Longways seems to show the interior best. This is a chance longways fracture on an egg, showing (under the black lichen staining) the variety of interior in a single egg, from bots to lacy fortification to waterline.

I have also found a lot of common opal, some much-crazed blue and red, and what appears to be a very tiny amount of precious. I'll be investigating that more too... the whole rhyolite outcrop is veined with common opal so chances are good.

There is another outcrop of red-banded agate t-eggs about ten yards off the end of my claim. Didn't know it was there when I made my boundaries. I won't be playing with it this year, but I may inquire next year about scooching the claim over to include it, or expanding the boundaries. My border is 14 acres right now but they put 20 acres on my listing in LR2000. :P
- Erika

rocks2dust

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 11:14:36 PM »

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing more of your finds.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »

Congrats on your claim, Erika!  I'll be so excited to see what you pull out of there.   :WEEEE:
Robin

ileney

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 12:08:49 PM »

Congratulations. That looks really cool.

VegasJames

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »

Great looking material. Congratulations.

Kaljaia

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »

Thanks all so much for the encouragement on this!
Next thing (I think) is to file small miner status? I'm honestly not sure. I see it filed in records of comparable mines so pretty sure it's applicable for one-person tegg operations! I will call the office and ask :P

I'm also having fun polishing some of the botryoidal fragments from here.

There's a lot of bot material from decayed eggs, of varying levels of clarity, fracture, color layering etc. I have a big box of it so far; the goal is to polish some samples to show how it behaves as a lapidary material, if folks are interested in it for cabbing.
- Erika

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 04:00:31 PM »

Excellent !

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 05:38:10 PM »

I love the different features you can get cabbing Botryoidal agates.  Nice pieces.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »

Those bots look really good!   :headbang:
Robin

ileney

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 08:59:38 AM »

Wow! :WEEEE:

ut_dirtdigger

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 02:14:48 PM »

Wow, what i ride you've taken so far.  Material look very cool.  Thanks for taking us on the ride with you  :WEEEE:

Kaljaia

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 07:50:18 PM »

And it continues... I managed to claim exactly half the bed. I realized this a while ago, but wasn't going to bother adjusting the boundaries until next year. Turns out a) there's good stuff over there and it's more sensibly sized and shaped and b) I have time on my hands. Amendment paperwork is off to the county today!

Note to Self:
- Claim the whole 20 acres next time. You can always make it smaller, but you can never make it bigger.
- Survey the entire hillside, not just as far as you think it goes!

It's an expensive mistake, but hopefully will be worthwhile in the long run!
- Erika

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 69 queries.