Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from North Texas  (Read 1254 times)

sparx

Hello from North Texas
« on: December 10, 2020, 06:44:17 AM »

Greetings!

I'm a new member from North Texas (originally from New Mexico). I have been a hobbyist rockhound since my childhood days and was taught how to cab gems in 9th grade by my math teacher. I continued to cab stones using equipment belonging to an artist friend of my parents for a silver jewelry hobby I had at the time, too, when they went to visit him, though that ended when I moved away from home in the late 70's.

Long story short is that in 2014 I "rediscovered" my silversmithing hobby that I had also abandoned back then (silversmithing in tiny studio apartments wasn't easy), but missed being able to cab my own stones. I have cabbed some small stuff slabbed with my tile saw and using my flex shaft with diamond burs/bits/paste, but longed to get back in front of larger wheels.

Well, that longing has finally become reality, and I can't wait until Christmas day when I get to unbox my new cabbing machine/trim saw and get back at it again! I have been hauling a small box of rough and slabs that I've had since the 70's with us through every move, so have a little bit of stone to get started with and can hardly wait!

Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of this forum. I know I'll be able to learn a lot, and hopefully will be able to give a little bit back, too!

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Hello from North Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 04:39:52 PM »

Welcome!

You'll be able to start back into it with some "old stock" rough. That should be great fun!

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »

Welcome back to the hobby!  I too rediscovered a latent rockhounding/lapidary interest I buried for nearly 40 years, it is never too late.  It took me less than 3 years to completely fill my garage with lapidary equipment and projects so I park my cars in the driveway nowadays.

Felicia

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 07:57:03 PM »

Welcome and good to hear you're able to get back into it, and have old stock to work with. Have a great time.

sparx

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 10:00:15 PM »

Thank you for the kind welcomes vitzitziltecpatl, Ryaly2dogs and Felicia!

Yes, I definitely feel fortunate to have a little old stock handy to get started with, but to get back into the swing of things, I've also slabbed up a couple chunks from an old black marble desktop that had broken during a move into a new building by the company I work for that was being thrown away (not my desk... I only rate a cubicle). It looked like it would take a good polish and had some nice thin white quartz veins running through it, so I grabbed a few of the smaller pieces from the pile to bring home.

That way I can be sure to get some of MY rustiness ground away first, and it also gives me a chance to get to know my way around the new machine a liitle, too. ;-)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 06:15:04 AM »

Welcome from Northern Arizona!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your work in the new year!
Robin

sparx

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 09:39:22 AM »

Thank you hummingbirdstones!

I'm not that great at photographing my work, for sure, but I certainly look forward to it, and will do my best!

VegasJames

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 02:31:39 AM »

Welcome from Las Vegas.

sparx

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »

Thank you VegasJames!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 06:15:21 AM »

Good plan on the practice rough. New machine will be different, and remembering the "little things" might take a while - if you're anything like me. The rustiness will fade quickly, I'll bet. You might even find some things seem easier after being away from it for a while.

sparx

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 08:20:36 AM »

vitzitziltecpatl,

After receiving the cabbing machine for Christmas and getting it set up I have had a total blast with it! Although I still haven't dug into any of the good "old stock" yet (still working up to that), I did start out on the marble practice material and was surprised in some ways of how quickly some of that rustiness faded away. After decades of being away from a cabbing machine, I hadn't forgot as much as I thought I would have, and the results weren't TOO awfully bad!

As none of the pieces have any "wow-factor" I figured I wouldn't post them here (still working up to that, too), but I did post pics of them on my blog site which is mainly visited by family and friends, so please feel free to take a look if you like. The blog post URL is http://www.silverdimensions.com/?p=1279.

Thank you again Vince, and I hope you had a wonderful holiday, too!!
David

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 46 queries.