Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragonskin teggs  (Read 715 times)

Kaljaia

Dragonskin teggs
« on: January 22, 2021, 07:31:04 PM »

Ah, sorry it's been a million years since posting. Glad this forum never deletes accounts! The year has ended up surprisingly busy.
Some fun cuts from my claim in Wasco county Oregon:

Phone camera oversaturates the colors so nothing's *really* that bright, but still, they are pretty neat. Been having a lot of fun burying myself in rock and projects, hiking, hunting and adventures. I just got access to the claim again on January 1st, provided the weather is decent, and am very happy about that.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Dragonskin teggs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 09:23:33 PM »

I am in love with that first Egg!!  Grats on a new year and some great prospects ahead.  Looks wonderful so far.

socalagatehound

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 12:02:00 AM »

That first one is incredible isn't it!!!  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Craig

Felicia

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 12:18:17 AM »

That first one is great; #3, a cool cave scene when turned on it's side.  Nice banding in the others. Hope they're all that nice!

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 07:55:48 AM »

This is definitely selected for "the pretty ones" but overall I rarely cut an egg I don't like from this bed. The first one is actually the end cap off the big cube cut one directly under it. Way too big for my saw, so I cut the ends off and then aligned the cavity and cut it longways. Was going to slab it but it had some major internal fracturing that made the slabs too unstable. The root-beer agate is common for the bed and when it comes with the dramatic white banding it's really nice.
- Erika

R.U. Sirius

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »

Interesting! Would love to learn more about that lamp in the last photo - how translucent are the slabs, and at what thickness were they slabbed?

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 01:41:47 PM »

Interesting! Would love to learn more about that lamp in the last photo - how translucent are the slabs, and at what thickness were they slabbed?

They're "three turns of the saw screw" thick, approximately 1/8th of an inch, and they are pretty translucent. I like them best with real flame behind them, as I have not yet found an LED that isn't either too cold-white or too bright-yellow. LEDs also tend to overpower the agate and don't show the more subtle lines, or transmit the reds and purples. I have stain glass supplies in the mail to start making these from foil and solder instead of relying on store-bought decorative lanterns that aren't meant to be used with real candles!

For cutting this thin, I really have to watch blade chatter, babysit the coolant lines and hold the saw arm to reduce weight and slow the cut. Any chatter, uneven lubrication or flaws in the stone will fracture the slab while cutting. These are cut on a drop saw, from Dragonskin thunder eggs, but I've made them from a bunch of other agates too. Intergrown, fused crystal material and moss agates work well, if the stone is free of internal fractures, because they seem to be less brittle and more forgiving. (Also a great way to use material that won't take a traditional high polish!)
- Erika

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 06:04:06 AM »

Hi Erika.

I've needed to adjust the weight on our drop saw blade, too. I hang a counterweight from the motor adjustment slots if needed.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 02:45:53 PM »

Beautiful material you have there!

VegasJames

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 06:57:26 PM »

Great material. Love the first one.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 06:14:37 AM »

Those are some very cool eggs!
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.