Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of my opal videos  (Read 1510 times)

John Robinson

A couple of my opal videos
« on: March 22, 2021, 07:10:42 AM »

I thought there might be a few interested in seeing these videos(?)
I could be wrong...

https://youtu.be/32jBCLf4Ys0

https://youtu.be/SfrAdfds0WM

ileney

Re: A couple of my opal videos
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:10:08 AM »

Very nice! Were those both Spencers? Great pattern. Are those doublets?

John Robinson

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »

Yes, they are both under glass cabochons. The smaller one (I think) is Ethiopian, but when I bought the rough it was just labeled ‘Fire Opal’ rough and the seller did not know it’s origins. I suppose I should put in water to see if it changes color - but I really do not want it to change..lol

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »

Just wet a finger and see if the opal rough tends to stick to it.  That's the usual test to determine if opal is Welo (Ethiopian).   Welo opal is hydrophane, meaning it's "thirsty" and easily absorbs water.  This test won't harm your opal.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 04:38:53 PM »

OMG Rick!  Great to see you on my friend!  Rick is right on the Welo, I have cut them and watch the fire disappear if I am cutting for a long time.  Never had one not regain its color completely.  Opal from Red Rock Canyon in California does the same thing.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 10:49:53 AM »

Hi Steve. Thanks for the greeting.  I'm checking in from my new location in Dewey AZ, part of the "Quad Cities" that make up Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley and Dewey.  Been here just a couple of months and am still untangling from the move. 

I have a much larger shop area but won't be able to do any lapidary work for some time because putting the house and yard together come first.  Moving was a sudden decision but a good one so far.  Fruit and flowering trees are bursting with blooms everywhere I go.   Beautiful!  It's good to be back where there are 4 distinct seasons.   

ileney

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 03:33:11 AM »

That is some spectacular neon fire! Is that a solid Spencer or a triplet and it’s just hard to tell?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 37 queries.