Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hampton Butte - 6 Pound Heel  (Read 530 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Hampton Butte - 6 Pound Heel
« on: September 07, 2021, 04:45:24 PM »

Finally got our Quartzsite 2020 rough to the club workshop's 24-inch saw - so we could see what was inside.

There's one member here who might be more interested than others - since we bought it from him... .

This piece is 10" x 7" (not counting protrusion at the top left) x 2" (thickest point), and weighs 6.4 lbs.

Stonemon

Re: Hampton Butte - 6 Pound Heel
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:53:46 AM »

Wild looking!

Bill

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 01:55:12 PM »

Hampton Butte is fun collecting.  Most of the digging is productive, green, brown or yellowish wood.  When I was there in 2019 (good ol days) I even found a nice section of sagenite agate along with some good wood in one hole about 20 feet from my truck.  Always a win when you can dig amongst the pine trees for shade.  Nice piece Vince.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 05:21:45 PM »

Steve - you must know the area better than some people. We looked for comparable rough after we bought this piece in 2020, and the pickings online were pretty slim. Lots of smaller pieces with less pattern and color, and people were saying it was hard to find.

Saw a few pieces with color similar to this online recently. Rough was $30/lb, and polished specimens were $$$$.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 12:52:02 PM »

Actually I have only been once but had no problem finding wood, just looked in the right spots I guess.  SoCalAgatehound did the best pulling a very sizeable piece out.  The other person on the trip also did great with plenty of success.  Didn't mean to make it sound like I have been there often was just my experience when I was there.  Now areas in SoCal like Cady's, Calico, Red Rock Cyn., Horse Canyon and Nipomo and I know them like the back of my hand.

I plan on going back again as I enjoyed collecting in Oregon.  Funny the way luck (rock angels) works.  I even found Sagenite in Green agate at Hart Mountain too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 35 queries.