Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tumbler  (Read 2005 times)

Felicia

Tumbler
« on: February 16, 2020, 10:02:32 AM »

Hi. I've been thinking about getting a tumbler for metal  finishing. Vibratory seems like the way to go so as not to damage bezels. Is anyone familiar with the Raytech tv-5? At this point I'm only thinking about it as I may not really do enough to buy a mass finishing machine. And could always add a couple of bowls if I want to tumbler. Not much to do with tumbled stones, though.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »

Metal finishing tumblers are not  wet rock tumblers although they look similar. Heavier construction is needed in a rock tumbler. Cabellos has the metal tumblers I have been using and I have used with corn cob and diamond powder for finishing stone specimens in them  and they seem fine.

Felicia

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »

I'm not particularly concerned about tumbling stone, Basically metal finishing. If I were to do stone, we're talking literally a handful. That's if. Still bear it in mind if I do decide to use stone.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 05:12:30 AM »

As Lithicbeads said, you don't need a high quality tumbler.  Dry finishing is easily done with a brass tumbler used by reloaders.  You can save a lot of money buying from company like Midsouth shooters supply.

Felicia

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »

Thanks. Hadn't thought to look at shooter's supply places. I saw one that is a bit cheaper. Has anyone used a vibratory tumbler for finishing? Are bezels safe in mass finishing?

Felicia

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »

I think I finally talked myself into doing the Foredom maintenance, instead of avoiding it like a little kid avoiding homework.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 37 queries.