Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A cab? display? sun catcher? ..........??  (Read 3071 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
A cab? display? sun catcher? ..........??
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »

I acquired this slab from a traveling rock box and do not have a clue where it came from. Maybe Montana or maybe the moon but two things I am sure of are that it is gorgeous and that I do not have a clue what to do with it. I am not much on displaying slabs (I do have a few large ones) so I can not see much use in it just sitting with a bunch of other slabs and never being seen.

I spent countless hours with pin polishers trying to polish the outside edges because there is no way to cut them off without destroying a bunch of it.

It is 1.5" X 3" so as a cab it would be very large and the only way to orientate the scene in it is horizontally. Making the horizontal position worse as far as a cab goes is that the left side is about 5/16ths" thick and the right side is 3/16ths" or less. There is a heart sitting on a hill, moon/sun to the right of it, an arch or bent tree with black clouds above it and a lot of other things in this position.

Loose the scene in these two positions.

Wha da ya think? Sell it and let someone else worry about it? lol Take it with me and give it to my girlfriend in my next life? (tough to do since I am coming back as a coyote) lmao I learned that by taking a quiz on f..kbook so it has to be true.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: A cab? display? sun catcher? ..........??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:49:10 AM »

What a nice piece. You've already polished the edges, so if it was sitting on a little display stand you could probably get a nice price for it. Would be difficult for me to make myself do anything else with it. It's too cool the way it is.

Itsandbits

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:25:52 AM »

LOL Jim....
Well I don't know about the slab but you could make a nice desktop picture out of the random pieces of wood you have in the background of your pictures :headbang: I have the same problem with a bunch of specimen slabs' I know you don't have a lot of room there so the display slab stands are probably out of the picture but I got a small picture frame and have one piece hung on the wall that way........
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 07:27:50 AM »

Jim,
Take this gorgeous piece and have a prong mount created for it so it can then hang from a cord around your neck so all can enjoy it.  A prong mount won't interfere with the stone pattern and you can mount any kind of weird shape with a prong mount.   :icon_sunny:

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »

It definitely would be a shame to cut that one up.  It is very cool1

wampidy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »

LOL Jim....
Well I don't know about the slab but you could make a nice desktop picture out of the random pieces of wood you have in the background of your pictures :headbang: I have the same problem with a bunch of specimen slabs' I know you don't have a lot of room there so the display slab stands are probably out of the picture but I got a small picture frame and have one piece hung on the wall that way........

hahaha I have a spot maybe 12 by 16 inches for my displays and it is kind of stacked right now. I have thought about putting another shelf above that one which has a length of about 7 feet (the rest of it is full of many things from meds to carving tools and everything else in between). Mostly stuff I do not want to dig for and things I want to do right away but have been there for ????????

There are few places in my home that I can take a photo without an ongoing project in the background. The wood you see is for the next sand garden which I started a while back but did not have a miter saw to true up the ends. My miter boxes are not true enough to make a bunch of 45 degree corners without gaps. The first garden was given away of course (just can't help myself) and the second is finished except for the "Rub on Poly". The first two took a lot of pains taking sanding to get the corners to fit right.

Yea for me because I just bought a refurbished Ryobi seven and one quarter inch compound miter saw with laser for $65.00. After a couple of hours getting it perfectly adjusted I think it is going to be excellent for what I am doing. The first two gardens took a lot of pains taking sanding to get the corners to fit right. Plus it is light enough for me to carry around without stressing my back. I was going to get the little four inch one but decided one that will cut a two by four would give me a lot more options.

I recently started helping my son build canvases for his painting (switched from tattooing) so this saw will get a lot of use. He has only finished three paintings and he has people lined up wanting to buy his art. This is his second painting that a friend ordered as soon as she saw his first painting. She has a lot of his art on her body.

He got his drawing skills from his mother because I can not draw a good stick anything.

Working on some new projects has got my blood flowing again and I am getting back to my old self. Really old self actually.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 05:24:18 PM »

WOW, That is gorgeous, could be black rind, montana or even a Bot.
How thick is it? If thick enough, I would drill sideways on the narrow tip, and adjust the other end to make it a bottom framed by the white fortification.

That piece is way to nice to have it sit around somewhere, this needs to be worn. 3 inches is not that long and if no metal is used fits perfectly on your chest. Its a stunning piece of nature. :headbang:
Anything not given, is lost.

drnihili

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »

I'm going to vote with Amanda, leave it whole and prong mount or perhaps a very sparing wire wrap.  Any way I try to imagine it cut ends up leaving out something important.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »

I have enough of my own rock problems  I think they are breeding in my yard , at least it looks like it.  Coming back as a coyote ? Not a bad idea. I want to come back as a badger so every thing will leave me alone. Why the coyote ?

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »

I think you should write a story about it:) It looks to be full of magic and mystery to me:)

wampidy

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »

I have enough of my own rock problems  I think they are breeding in my yard , at least it looks like it.  Coming back as a coyote ? Not a bad idea. I want to come back as a badger so every thing will leave me alone. Why the coyote ?

hahaha I can't remember all the reasons it gave me but I figure it will be like Wiley E Coyote getting a daily dose of run over or dropping off a cliff.

For your reasoning I would go with wolverine. Even a bear won't mess with one of them.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 06:07:40 PM »

I think you should write a story about it:) It looks to be full of magic and mystery to me:)

Eloquence is not my strong suit. Hmmmm, now that I think about it I am not sure I have a strong suit other than belligerence and snarkyness. I think that is a word.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »

YEA, problem solved. A lady on another forum suggested belt buckle and I ordered the findings today. Woo Hoo I think it will make an awesome buckle.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »

Perfect solution for that stone, Jim.  It will be an amazing belt buckle.   :thumbsup:
Robin

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 01:41:57 PM »

LOLOL snarkey:)
It will make an excellent belt buckle:)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 56 queries.