Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise - how loud are commerical flat laps?  (Read 3213 times)

Scalebar

Noise - how loud are commerical flat laps?
« on: April 11, 2019, 07:26:36 AM »

I love my flat lap, I built it myself. It's run for hundreds of hours with no trouble but it's built around a cheap electric drill with the trigger clamped down with a hose clip ( I have at least fitted an RCD and off switch ) and it sounds, well like a cheap electric drill.

I'd do more lapidary and longer sessions if it wasn't so noisy - I worry about the neighbours and I don't like wearing ear protection for hours. Are commercial machines any quieter or is that just motors for you?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Noise - how loud are commerical flat laps?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »

Machines like the All-
U-Need are pretty quiet when sanding but when grinding  the noise is considerable but not from the machine but from the grinding action.My flat laps are the quietest machines I have by far.

Scalebar

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:03:49 AM »

Thanks, I managed to salvage a much quieter motor over the weekend, since a commercial flatlap is around £600 I'll see what I can go with that first.

Trails

• Ever wandering
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 05:43:18 AM »

I have several commercial flat laps and all are pretty quiet. Aside from the sound of cutting, noise will generate from three other sources on flat laps. Motor of course, bearings on any of the pillow blocks or arbor inputs, and vibration from overall unit. Generally in a well-working machine, the cutting, or action is the loudest part. Some motors though its just how their wound and how clean its guts are.. and sometimes a little oil can go a long way. I've pulled some pretty darn quiet motors from washers and contraptions that havent seen daylight in 70 years, just to replace the newer motors running my shoppes machines. Then again, it just adds up to having a pile of motors kicking around.
Tay
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 33 queries.