Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30 grit sintered grinding wheel on the titan.  (Read 1252 times)

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
30 grit sintered grinding wheel on the titan.
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »

We put a new 30grit sintered grinding wheel on the titan a few days ago and have been putting it thru the paces to see how it handles and breaks in. Well.. results are in..... we have a winner!! Could be a little aggressive for most peoples tastes and the chip outs are kinda massive(spending a bit of time cleaning up the preforms) but talk about fast shaping on larger pieces!! I've found that I can get a little more creative with harder stones and really creative carving softer stones now. Having probably way too much fun watching rocks grind away to powder :-P Heres a pic of stuff I've roughed the last couple days. Started with the 30grit and cleaned up on the 220hard wheel. I'll drill this batch soon and move forward and post them as finished. Happy cutting folks!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Amethyst Rose

Re: 30 grit sintered grinding wheel on the titan.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »

I use a 60 grit sintered on my genie and I find it can be a bit aggressive at time.  I can't imagine just how aggressive the 30 grit is.  I love the sintered wheels as the last a very long time.  I was replacing the metal bond wheels about every 6 months or so and I have been using the same sintered wheel for 5 years and it cuts like it did the day I got it.

Have fun

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »

Agreed.  I use an 80 grit sintered and find it too aggressive for many materials.

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:52:07 PM »

That is impressive.  I'm going to have to try one of those out.  I didn't know they made those.
Steve

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:55 PM »

I used a 30 grit 8 inch flat lap back in the 80's when I was cutting clear quartz hand pieces and doing repolishes of large Brazilian crystals. The diamonds were like the size of sand grains imbedded in the metal. This grit will cause chipping in most stones excluding dense agates and the like. I'm using a 60 grit sintered wheel now on my vertical setup and works well. In my dreams I would have an 8 inch 3 INCHES WIDE one of these instead of the 1 1/2 inch one I have now. Even if they made this it would probably cost $500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.