Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement motor for trim saw  (Read 438 times)

Jolly

Replacement motor for trim saw
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:20:19 PM »

Where is the best place to buy a 1/3 HP motor for my trim saw?

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Replacement motor for trim saw
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 04:28:50 AM »

At a yard sale.  Many electrical motors in the 1/3 to 1/2 hp range can be had for $5 - 10; in the SW they come from evaporative coolers and fans. 
If you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore (recycled construction and domestic materials) they would certainly have something that would meet your needs.  Probably a sure bet for a new motor would be Graingers or something of a similar orientation in industrial supply.
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 07:35:58 AM »

All true, Peruano. The only option I could add would be to pick one up locally at a home improvement store.

That said, I am in the Southwest, so our stores usually carry cooler motors.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 12:07:51 PM »

Used or new, make sure it either comes with a proper mount (typically the resilient "craddle" type) that aligns with your existing bolt holes, or that the motor fits into the old mount. In my experience it is quite hard to find a matching motor/base pair from two different sources - even when the frame type is nominally the same, there seem to endless combinations of the exact ring spacing, ring diameters, and motor height.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.