Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sintered vs. Notched Saw Blade  (Read 10703 times)

claymoreminer

Sintered vs. Notched Saw Blade
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »

I am in the market for a new 18" diamond blade for my Great Western rock saw and am wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of a sintered vs. notched blade.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Sintered vs. Notched Saw Blade
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »

Am looking forward to hearing what others say, but I kinda' like the segmented rim blades with the deeper slots to carry more oil through the cut. I use them on our 10" saws, but switch to a 303 for some types of rough.

Allen

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:45:12 AM »

As a hobbyist my experience has been.

Notched, cheap, rough cut, excessively loud, short life.

Sintered, more expensive, smooth cut, quieter and longer life.

I would like a professionals view. :icon_scratch:

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 05:00:49 AM »

I've only tried one sintered blade so my knowledge is very limited.  The blade I have cuts extremely slowly but leaves a polished surface.  I can take a nodule straight from the saw to the polishing wheel.  Still, I almost never use it as I don't have the patience to wait all day for the pressure fed saw to finish the cut.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »

I love sintered blades. That being said I use a 303 notched rim on my 18 inch saw because I have never seen a reasonably priced 18 inch sintered blade. Have you found a supplier for quality 18 inch sintered blades? I would be interested in trying one.  Neal

claymoreminer

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:55:56 AM »

Good morning Neil -
Thanks for your input on notched vs. sintered blades - I have found a 18" sintered blade for $215.00 thru Johnson Bros Lapidary.  Blade is made in Korea not China.  Sounds like a good deal.
Clay

jakesrocks

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »

On my 16" saw I'm using a BD 303 S blade. Very smooth cutting. The slotted blades do a very good job oc carrying oil to the cut & rock snot away from the cut.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

johnjsgems

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 02:27:04 PM »

Seems to be a little confusion with terminology.  "Sintered" blades have diamond in a matrix that is welded to the blade core.  Sintered can also be the old notched rim (HP, BD, Star Diamond) where diamond mixture was brushed over notches, notches rolled over, and mixture fused (sintered) into the mild steel core with a lot of heat.  The BD/MK 303C and 303S are both sintered.  The 16" and larger size (303S) are "segmented".  The rim sections are segments welded to a slotted core.  Still sintered just quieter and cools better.  The Chinese make "crimp rim" blades that are generally durable but noisy and not necessarily smooth cutters.  Don't know how they make them. 

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »

Terminology....   Many of us refer to "sintered blades" as being a continuous sintered rim all the way around the rim. I realize that is not the definition. Anyway, I refer to notched rims as such, and others with blades that are not notched or sintered as the old standard blade. Continuous sintered rim blades of high quality are quiet, smooth and last a long time if you take care of them. I have never seen a reasonably priced continuous sintered rim blade over 16 inches. They do make them primarily for the science people who have unlimited budgets..... So, the 303 blades, notched and sintered over 16 inches is a good choice.  Neal

johnjsgems

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »

Then there are the 301 blades.  They are basically 303C (continuous rim) with 20-25% taller rim and "wedge shaped, notch like segments" around rim.  More expensive but generally handle really hard rock even better than 303's.  The original 301 blades were the red painted notch rims.  If you can find one of those they were great blades too.  Some suppliers still have them around from either old stock or bought at discount when discontinued.  I bought most of the remaining blades after the big guys bought but sold everything at Buena Vista show that year.  Wish I would have saved a few for myself. 

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 08:43:14 AM »

Looks like the 301 might be a good blade for a 14" drop saw. Might cut a little quicker. Wish they made a segmented 303 in 14". Anyone have recommendations for a good segmented 14"?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »

I have used both extensively and I vote 100% for continuous rim sintered for smaller saws thru 12" and sintered/segmented blades on 14 and up.  The cut is the difference!  When you take a slab off from an 18" sintered it looks like it has been flat lapped to 600 grit.

johnjsgems

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 04:21:38 PM »

305 Agate Kutter has laser cuts around a very tall rim.  Pretty thick blade so not cheap but thick sometimes better for drop saws as they won't deflect while chopping. 

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »

I guess I will add that often the sintered blades come at a cost of kerf and with high end material sometimes the extra loss per cut can drive people to use a thinner notched type blade.  Different discussion though in material cost vs quality of cut.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:21 PM »

Thanks John. Hadn't heard any recommendations for the 305 before. Only .010" thicker than the 303C, a segmented rim, and not that much more expensive than the 303. Sounds like a good choice.

The 225 Hot Dog is the one I use for some kinds of rough on the 10" saws. The Agate Kutter sounds like it might do a little better on harder materials. Could it possibly have more diamond or some other advantage over the Hot Dog's construction? They look very similar.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 54 queries.