Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new jade cabochons, good and bad  (Read 3700 times)

olgguy

Re: new jade cabochons, good and bad
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 02:20:02 PM »

Orrum, with regard to your query about "Picture Jade", I posted these pics before trying to find out what to call them and where they are found. The best we could come up with was " Scenic Jade"

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 02:28:02 PM »

Back, the machine you asked about was probably a spool polisher like this one from Graves.  The spools were made of several materials -- wood, phenolic, plastic.  The first Diamond Pacific Pixie machine I owned used a phenolic spool polisher with diamond compound instead of Nova diamond wheels.  Machines like this work very well with materials like opal, star garnet and many others.

http://www.gravescompany.com/Spool-Polisher.html

55fossil

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 05:25:32 PM »

I have a spool polisher and it is awesome for smaller stones. I bought it for doing Star Garnets as any heat will blow an Idaho Star Garnet to bits. The phenolic spool polisher will not heat up a stone and you apply the amount of Diamond and extender you need for the job.

"Scenic Jade", seems like a good name. But it really looks like a piece of quality green jade with some of it's skin still attached. Many jades have an outer rind with iron or other mineral impregnations that make it different from the interior color. Not sure if skin or rind is correct name for the outer layer but you get the idea. Many of the best Chinese carvings incorporate the outer skin. This second color adds greatly to the value and look of the carving. So it is not a bad thing. I will see if I can locate a picture of one that I can post here. My jade books are loaded with such pictures.   neal
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 32 queries.