Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tejon Ranch Rhodenite Canoe  (Read 1795 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Tejon Ranch Rhodenite Canoe
« on: November 30, 2023, 10:12:33 PM »

I got this material from a great friend and just loved the quality of the material and the yellows in the mix.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Tejon Ranch Rhodenite Canoe
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 09:33:48 AM »

Rhodonite  can easily  metamorphose into yellow or pink manganese garnet, spessartite.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 06:54:12 AM »

Really nice knives and photgraphy. I havent gotten my photo skills up to par yet. Did you just buy a crate of Buck Canoe knives?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 09:58:21 PM »

I buy them in lots of about 10 at a time off walmart.  I keep a large supply that I have with the pins ground down and ready to go.  The Canoes are great knives to work and the knife only requires a hair over 1/8th inch of material per scale making the material easy to come up with.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 05:37:53 AM »

Nice. I tend to find mine on used knife sites, ebay and flea markets. Are canoe Bucks made in America? I have noticed that more recent Bucks are made in China or possibly just certain models. I havent done enough research to figure out which. After having worked just any knife to get my skills up and maybe sell a few, I have started sticking to Made in the US, Germany or Japan knives. The latter two I dont see that often but have run into a couple here and there.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 12:06:41 AM »

With Buck it depends on the model of knife.  As for the Canoe (Buck 389) they are made in China, one of the other knives I posted the Buck 113 Skinner is a U.S. blade as are the Buck 110's.  I would get more discerning if it were a specimen knife or a collector blade but these are pocket knives and the cost and uses of the knife does not warrant requiring a U.S. blade in my opinion. 

Bluetangclan

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 08:02:14 AM »

I have lost several sales in the past because the knives were not Made in the US because the buyer see's the name Buck and assumes its a US made knife. One of my favorite knives is a Frost Cutlery Cheetah(I like the lines) and they also have moved to China from the US and Japan where they used surgical steel. A lot of the major companies seem to be moving at least some of their factories to China :( Now I find it easier and just stick to US made knives for the most part and keep on looking when I see China and Pakistan. Older Buck 110s are US made, but I have fallen for buying them new only to find the new ones arent.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 12:40:49 PM »

I called Buck Knives corporate headquarters today and asked about Chinese made 110's.  Buck says that ALL of their 110's 112's and 113's (the 3 I asked about) are made ONLY in the USA.  They said if you have a 110 from China, it is an imitation knockoff, and not an authentic Buck knife.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 05:06:37 PM »

Imitation "Rip Off" is rampant in the lapidary world. Whether it is all the Bogus rock being sold as authentic Owyhee or Turquoise, etc.  Then there are all the saw blades and lapidary tools sold as "compatible.  I see it all the time where bid internet sellers try and fool you into buying a saw blade with gimmick names that make you think it is a quality product but is junk. I have been through this twice on 18 inch saw blades and they both sucked. Since I do not have a lawyer I will not ne naming names, so buyer beware.
     Thank you for posting this info. Now I need to go pull my last two Buck 110's I have off the shelf and check them.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 05:54:16 AM »

Yeah, I will have to go look at my stash of knives as well. Good to know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 46 queries.