Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeding an addiction Montana Agate  (Read 52334 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Re: Feeding an addiction Montana Agate
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »

We typically do these things for complex internal reasons. It is a very good thing that they help give us an individual focal point to return to in a very busy stressful world not to mention the   experience of the wondrous magical stones. I think we are very fortunate.

One of the reasons to try thus hard on carving was my father. He was immensely gifted working with wood, and I knew from small on that he would want us to pick up on his gift. To his disappointment, we never did and both, my brother and I seemed to have turned out pure klots.
That was until I picked up stones and seem to have found a medium that allows me to catch up to him eventually.

Unfortunately, my father has passed now two years already, and never saw anything I made. But it was tremendously satisfying this August going home, and seeing the interest in all pieces from everyone around. From close to 40 pieces given away, I know that 16 have already been set and are worn regularly (a family friend and goldsmith at home has contacted me and cursed me for the irregular shapes :) :)  ). That and pieces worn like by the Canadian Lady who wears it for her traditional dances, are the motivation and reward, worthwhile to keep trying to do more and better.

And yes, sitting there, and tinkering away, allows one to completely forget the things that might not be that bright in ones life. Shutting them out for a while is a brilliant way to return to them eventually, with a fresh mind and often with solutions that where so far before.
Anything not given, is lost.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 09:12:36 AM »

Excellent perspective, may you enjoy many more years with our friends the stones.

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »

I like the way you give things away. I have no idea how many pieces I have given away but mine were not such time consuming carvings like yours. What I have in numbers you have in time spent. I have a suitcase with foam layers in it so my pendents have a place to sleep. When there is a gathering of friends or family I will open the case and tell everyone to pick a couple. The fun they have is priceless.

I have a hard time staying focused on one art form so I have tried many different styles but I have to admit that stones have kept me interested much longer than anything else. One of the reasons is that I can do a lot of different things with the stone including the hounding to find them. My last post has four different things that I have finished or am in the middle of. I think that my experimenting and sometimes coming up with something different and being successful at the same time is the biggest draw for me. Being or doing different than everyone else has always been at the top of my list of goals. Fortunately I ended up with the ability to see things a little different than everyone else then bring that idea to a point that is pleasing to the eye most of the time. I also have some real duds out too which is probably the case with most people.

Keep on keeping on or die right?
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

Talusman

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »

Here's a little Montana cab to join the party...

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 11:44:02 AM »

That's a beauty!   :blob1:
Robin

jakesrocks

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »

I've never tried carving, but I do have a love for Montana agates. Here's one I call the heart of Montana for obvious reasons.

And don't ignore those end nubs. Some very interesting material there. It just takes a light hand to manage all of the surface fractures.

A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

rocks2dust

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »

Nice pattern selection!

Stonemon

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »

I have one I call the heart of Montana also...
Bill

Bill

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 06:37:07 PM »

Stonemon, would love to see that one set. Have you set it already?

And don't ignore those end nubs. Some very interesting material there. It just takes a light hand to manage all of the surface fractures.

Sellers often use heels as extras, and I love it! The rind can be a bit tricky to work, but they are looking great.

Here's a little Montana cab to join the party...
Hard to beat that one. The iris effect is just out of this world.

Anything not given, is lost.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »

Whoa!  You guys are knocking my socks off.  Those are some gorgeous Montanas!   :Worthy:
Robin

jakesrocks

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »

LOL. Speaking of Montanas. I was just talking to a trucker buddy of mine who's also half owner of a rock shop in Billings, Montana. The local indians have been bringing in Montanas by the bucket full to sell. My buddy says they have roughly a ton of Montanas stored in a big storage container. If anyone's interested, I can put you in contact with them.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

Stonemon

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 11:08:25 PM »

No, this one is still kicking around waiting for someone who knows how to set stones... I just cut them for now. I dream of being able to take them to the next level but for now I just cut them....
Bill

Bill

Windenzee

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 09:15:43 AM »

Montana agate looks beautiful. Carved is even better. I will be looking out for some though I expect it is not easy to come by in England.
Thanks for showing
Karen

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »

I just made the transfer from the other site.  It's odd being a Newbie again!  Anyhow I'm checking out the site's various functions and hopefully this favorite Montana of mine will show up.

gemfeller

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »

Another beauty!  It would be a favorite of mine, too.   :icon_sunny:
Robin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 55 queries.