Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expando wheels life span ?  (Read 1361 times)

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Expando wheels life span ?
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:35:37 PM »

Having only ever purchased one 8" expando wheel in my time I've noticed the wheel is starting to vibrate like crazy. I'm guessing it 1/16" out of balance and is breaking up some of my more delicate pieces by the thump/thump... I tried slowing the rpm down to below 900 rpm but the wheel won't expand enough to keep the belts from sliding.

I noticed cracks on the sides of the wheel so perhaps that has created an un-even expansion. 

I'm sure its a function of usage but was curious if anyone that uses these on a regular basis has a read on life span ? Any favorite brands ? I think I got mine from Covington..

Cheers,

Kent 

bobby1

Re: Expando wheels life span ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 08:43:15 PM »

I get 8 to 10 years of fairly consistent use. If you see any cracking on the webs you probably should toss them. Never buy used ones. Most likely they have been sitting in an uncontrolled environment rotting away.
Bob

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »

About a decade is it.I've had two break in use over the decades and one broke my hand. Yours sounds like it is going fast.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »

I just checked my records. Purchased from Covington four years ago.

What speed do you all run you expando wheels ?

On occasion a sanding belt will be too loose to stay put so I shim the belt with a couple of pieces of wet and dry sand paper

bobby1

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »

I like to run mine slower so the wheel is softer and works better. They run at about 1450 rpm. Once in a while, a belt will be a bit loose, though.
Bob

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:31:26 AM »

I have always run mine at the standard speed but agree with  the above advice that they work better at slower speeds.I just did not have enough machines to dedicate one to the slower speed.

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »

Slipping belts???  There are two very similar sized belts for expand wheels and the old aluminum two piece wheels. I have seen people fight this issue many times because they appear to be the same size.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 01:28:34 PM »

if it's cracking, it's time for a replacement. 4 years? Might ask covington if it's warrantied but I seriously doubt it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 41 queries.