Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highland Park 18" square rail  (Read 1266 times)

kanecats

Highland Park 18" square rail
« on: July 31, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »

Hello all-I have an opportunity to purchase an 18" HP square rail. The vise sits on the rail with a bearing underneath. I have only had experience with the later design, with the bearings resting on top of the rails. Can anyone give me some input on if this design glides smooth on the rails, or should I hold out for the later design? Thanks!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Highland Park 18" square rail
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »

The original design which is what you are describing was an awesome workhorse which is why the new company "with no relation to the original Highland Park saws" choose to copy the design since they said there was no patent on it.  You can still get parts for the original and tons of them are out there still cutting away.

kanecats

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »

Irockhound Thank you for your response, I think perhaps I wasn’t cleat. In the early 60’s the HP design is like the picture, with the bearings under the rail. In about 62 they changed the design and placed the bearings running on top of the rail. I am asking for input from those that have this design. I totally agree the new HP saws are junk comparatively, but am asking if I should hold out for the 2nd generation old HP or if this is as good Thanks!

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »

I'd say that sled arrangement is a bargaining point, but that said I wouldn't hesitate to buy it at the right price. I have a old Covington 20" that has no bearings under the side of the vice sled that moves on a round support, and only a simple roller bearing supporting the right side on a flat support rod. Clearly the rollers underneath are to keep the vice sled from raising up off of the supports, but their proper adjustment might go a long way to making the sled move with minimal resistance.  Sorry that I don't have specific experience for you but take my optimism for what its worth.  BTW I have the 16" version with square rails with rollers top and bottom and I studied it a bit to see if there was an easy adaptation for the older version, but found no easy answer.
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »

Its still a good design, I have cut many slabs on a saw just like that with no problems. The later design just allows you to go too long before changing your oil, this design lets you know sooner that it is time to change the oil.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »

Ahh thanks for the clarification.  I did not know the early designs had it both ways.  Always learning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 37 queries.