Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Type of motor to replace on a vibrating lap?  (Read 14167 times)

Rei

Type of motor to replace on a vibrating lap?
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:55:34 PM »

I purchased a vibrating lap on Ebay which turned out to be a poor purchase.  It turned out to be 15" rather than 20"; the 5 trays turned out to be 2 trays and 3 lids; and most importantly, the motor was in bad shape, to the point that it had a hole rusted in it.  I got a partial refund, but most of the costs to me were import costs, so it didn't help much.

Still, it ran fine for about four weeks or so, but then the motor gave out.  Now I need to replace it.  I've removed the old motor (had to cut the weight off the motor shaft to fully get it apart) and am trying to figure out what sort of motor to put in its place.  Shape of the motor doesn't matter; I can weld.  I just need something approximately matched to the task.  But there's no writing on the motor, so I don't know its wattage or RPM.  What sort of wattage and RPM should I be targeting, do you think?

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
Re: Type of motor to replace on a vibrating lap?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »

What brand of lap?
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

Rei

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »

What brand of lap?

I don't know, the info is worn off.  Would it make a difference?  I can just weld whatever motor onto the assembly.

jakesrocks

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »

Can you post a pic of your flat lap ? One of us should be able to ID it for you. If it's an old Highland Park, Diamond Pacific is now producing those & will have direct replacement motors.

Since flat lap motors are mounted vertical, they have special thrust bearings. A normal motor that mounts horizontal would work for a while, but the weight of the motor armature would wear out the bearings after a few months of use.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

Rei

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

Can you post a pic of your flat lap ? One of us should be able to ID it for you. If it's an old Highland Park, Diamond Pacific is now producing those & will have direct replacement motors.

Since flat lap motors are mounted vertical, they have special thrust bearings. A normal motor that mounts horizontal would work for a while, but the weight of the motor armature would wear out the bearings after a few months of use.

Thanks for the offer to ID it  :)

It's been taken apart, so here are the pieces:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54125007@N08/31185883256/in/datetaken/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54125007@N08/30414141853/in/datetaken/

Sorry for the lighting in the latter one; it's in my plant room and the LED lights always wash out images.

Rei

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:25:21 PM »

Any thoughts?

Rei

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:13:05 AM »

Nothing?  :(  I've been waiting hoping to hear back from you.

jakesrocks

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »

Sorry, family emergency kept me away for a while.

Never seen one quite like yours. but looking at the pics I'll bet these balls & springs will work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LORTONE-FL15-FL20-FLAT-LAP-SPRING-BALL-KIT-NEW-/192042804514?hash=item2cb6a4a522:m:m7QVnE6nWpnDIUSbtti9SRA

For the motor, look at replacement motors for some of the flat laps still being sold. I'll bet a Covington or Lortone flat lap motor would work with a little tweaking.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 01:34:49 PM »

Looks like an old 1/3 HP wash machine motor. Try looking up another name brand vibrator and see what motor they use. You can usually find a parts list on the internet for new machines. It should tell you the HP and RPM's on the sales or parts index. I have an 18 inch machine that is ancient. While I agree with jakesrocks about the motor ...  my lap has a standard type of motor snatched from the trash. It has worked fine for years. Guess I am too cheap, but free or almost free is often worth a shot.  Neal

Rei

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 07:27:58 PM »

Thanks both of you!  I'll look into both options over Christmas - can't wait to have it up and polishing again!  :)

jakesrocks

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »

Referencing Fossils post, most top loading washing machines have the motor mounted vertical. They have the thrust bearings needed for something like a vibrating lap. Front loading washing machines have a horizontal mounted motor & lack the thrust bearings. Lots of old washing machines laying around in dumps with perfectly good motors. They have a heavy duty power cord too, so salvage that while you're at it. And I've always wondered if there was a use for the water pump in them.

Rei

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »

So, surprisingly, this issue hasn't been resolved after all this time  :(

So, I started out first trying to get a top loader washing machine here. Turns out, top loading washing machines don't exist her. At all. I'd never seen one; apparently that wasn't just a coincidence.

So I talked to Kingsley North. They were concerned that I might not get a motor that would work with my lap (even though I assured them I could cut/weld any attachments as needed), and had me go investigate better. I'm now 95% sure it's a 15" Beacon star.  They told me to go to Barranca / MK Diamond, that they had bought Beacon Star.

I contacted Beacon Star. They said that's not true, that they didn't buy Beacon Star, and recommended I try Grainger.

I sent Grainger an email (but what would they know about what motor works with a Beacon Star lap?). I didn't get a response. I sent Kingsley North another email. I didn't get a response.

Disheartened, and with another project taking up my time, I've let this fall to the backburner for a while, and my lap has been idle ever since.  But I really should try to get it back up and running. If you were in my situation, what would you do?  Start googling "Junkyards in America" and contact random ones to see which have top loading washing machine motors and would be willing to ship, so that I can then get a motor that I can weld on and run through a power converter? I don't know what's the right solution here...

TRG

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 12:33:05 AM »

Call Diamond Pacific for parts .. they bought out the company and are very helpful. I just got parts for my saw of the same brand

Rei

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 11:47:46 AM »

Call Diamond Pacific for parts .. they bought out the company and are very helpful. I just got parts for my saw of the same brand

Thanks, will do that!  :)  I bet they were confusing MK Diamond with Diamond Pacific.

Rei

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »

Thanks, will do that!  :)  I bet they were confusing MK Diamond with Diamond Pacific.

Wow, $275 for a new one? Geez....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 51 queries.