Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faceting equipment  (Read 2771 times)

Brucew

Faceting equipment
« on: March 02, 2017, 08:37:07 PM »

Bought a bunch of equipment and this was part of it,  the grinders and saws I know,  this is all new to me, what have I got myself into.???  Lol

It hasn't been used much and it also came with 18  8 inch laps.  5 are new
Any ideas as to what it would be valued at ?  Just curious if I paid too much,  and how long I have to hide it from my wife    :LOLOL:

Debbie K

Re: Faceting equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:59:00 AM »

I don't know much about faceting machines, and have never heard about this one, but this is what someone thought theirs was worth http://knoppix.net/store/Prismatic-Acura-Flex-Faceting-Machine_141507127613.html. I read on a faceting forum about someone having difficulties with the angles actually being cut being different than what the protractor was reading.

Faceting equipment, unless it's made by a well-known maker, is difficult to value. There are "good" ones by bad manufacturers, and I believe that the biggest problem is operator error. For all I know, this one may be a really good maker and machine.

The laps are always suspect, due to the risk of cross contamination. The value of them is based solely on how fastidious the owner was. The only way to find out if the laps are good is to try them out and see. How many indexes and dops came with it? If I were you, I'd try to find a supplier for the indexes because you probably could make dops if you had to, but not indexes.

I don't use my machine to facet often, but I use it all the time to flatten backs. Mine is a really old Graves and I paid very little for it because it needed bearings, belt and adjustments and looked like crap. Just tell your wife it's necessary to make professional-looking backs for cabs. If you paid a few hundred for it, I don't think you made a bad deal.  By the way, where is the drip?

Debbie K

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:18:11 AM »

Hi Bruce,

http://www.polymetricinc.com/prismatic_information.htm

Zane is a great guy and if you have questions about your machine, he would be the guy to ask.  No clue on what it's actually worth, but I believe the Prismatics haven't been made in quite a while now.

Robin

crashoveroide

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 01:48:22 AM »

Hi Brucew..! i Cant see your upload photos..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 33 queries.