Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frantom 10 inch  (Read 3285 times)

Mossagatemac

Frantom 10 inch
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »

Super excited. Just picked up my first saw.  It's a frantom 10 inch saw.  I couldn't find an old manual for it online, could somebody point me to one or take a picture if they have one?  I want to make sure I'm taking care of this thing so any other maintenance tips appreciated.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Frantom 10 inch
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 04:31:05 AM »

There may not be a manual for it.  But . .  its basically all metal and fairly easy to clean, disassemble, and maintain with some sweat and diligence invested.  By comparing your saw with others (even of different brands) you will see that its easy to operate and maintain.  I'd start by cleaning everything and using steel wool on anything that looks like it is caked with residue.  The tab on the right side at about the level of the front of the blade may have been for a fence (guide to allow you to adjust thickness of slab if you are using without the saw's vice.  You may want to build some splash guards to reduce spray to sides and toward operator.  Or you may have or want to build a top so that all coolant spray is contained if you use a gravity feed or other assist.  Don't be afraid to ask questions here or to find a local lapidary person who can advise you as you go. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Mossagatemac

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, it also came with a homemade cover which i didn't get in the picture. 

Unfortunately i don't have a local lapidary club to have someone walk me through in person but that's why i can talk to all of you :D

One of my main questions is whether there is anything i should be doing to maintain or service the bearings on this?

rockherder

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »

I just picked up a similar saw!  The blade on mine is rusted, looks like it has been sitting for quite a while.
First thing I'm going to do is put WD 40 on all the moving parts and the drain hole and let it sit for a couple days.
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »

I just picked up a similar saw!  The blade on mine is rusted, looks like it has been sitting for quite a while.
First thing I'm going to do is put WD 40 on all the moving parts and the drain hole and let it sit for a couple days.
Their could be a old  HighlandPark Black diamond blade on it.
Silicate life form

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 03:51:52 PM »

Yes . . . the rockherder saw has a fence shown that I presumed was intended for the original poster's saw (it would be easy to fabricate). 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

rockherder

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »

Disassembled and cleaned up the saw today. 
Very easy process.
Next step is to clean up the blade, add some mineral oil and start cutting.
I've been using the mineral oil from the local tractor supply company but Highland Park has some amended mineral oil that I'm going to be putting in this saw.
Here are a couple pictures of the screws I removed to lift off the top and a picture of the inside.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 04:43:39 AM »

You appear to be good to go. You may want to bend up a simple sheet metal flashing to cover the parts of the belt closest to the work area. A finger through a v-pulley is a disaster. 

Mossagatemac

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 07:24:14 PM »

Cool.  After seeing your pictures, it looks like mine did come with the fence.  I just wasn't sure what it was at the time and you can see it laying on the top in one of the original pictures.

Rockherder - Tell me a little more about the gasket you pointed out in the picture.  I don't think mine has that. 

rockherder

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »

The gasket covers the back of the saw only.
Here is a better picture of it.

Oh and by the way. 
The bearings are shot in this saw. 
Was hoping they might be good but they really make a racket.
So it's off to a machine shop to find a press to pull off the bearings and get them replaced.

Mossagatemac

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 06:47:38 AM »

Bummer about the bearings.  Let me know what size etc you get as a replacement for when the time comes for me!

Larry

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »

Hi guys, I picked up a similar saw at an estate sale
A short time ago. while I was cleaning it up I noticed some numbers stamped into the parts. I was curious if there were similar numbers stamped into yours? and also wondering if they could possibly be serial numbers
? thanks. Mine has 014.  Ill post some pics soon as i figure out how.

Larry

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »

Here are a few before. I'll try to find the numbers.

Larry

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »

Found one pic with the 014 so far.

Mossagatemac

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »

Larry, I must not be looking at the right spot. Where is the 014 located?  I'll take a look on mine and let you know. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 53 queries.