Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust prevention.  (Read 1014 times)

Felicia

Rust prevention.
« on: February 08, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »

Not directly appropriate to the trim saw blade, but I also do woodcarving. Some carving tools, as well as lapidary, just love to rust, especially swedish steel. After trying many preventatives both low and expensive high tech, I found one that works on everything I've tried. It is Camellia oil. Keep a thin coat on the item, or replace it for storage when removed. Easily found online, not expensive, especially since you use so little at a time. It's been produced, don't know how many centuries; it was even used to keep samurai blades rust free.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Rust prevention.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:26:31 PM »

Thanks for the advice , I was not familiar with it. Most of us rockhounds are at the age that it's the rust on the rockhound we are  most worried about unfortunately.

Felicia

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 05:10:48 AM »

I found out through woodcarving. I'm familiar with the rockhounding rust problem myself. Have to take more frequent breaks or joints stiffen up.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »

When I was asked how I was going to climb the mountains with my bad knees, I said I had a mobility scooter  :toothy10: , a CanAm 650 quad ATV.

In industry, they use Fluid Film when they want to preserve some machinery. It's pretty common, you'll find it in auto parts stores, farm supply, here in Canada, Princess Auto. I think the main ingredient is lanolin, as in sheep's wool. 

Felicia

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 10:37:41 AM »

Well, it keeps the 🐑 year 'round. So much for expensive high tech.  Nice to here of worthwhile products.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 05:25:59 AM »

The main ingredient in Fluid Film is Refined petroleum oil, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic modified by Calcium petroleum sulfonate.  It is indeed very effective.    Lanolin will stain iron through corrosion. 

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 06:09:21 AM »

WoW , there's a couple of myths busted.  :toothy10:

Guess I better get back to working on trim saws. There's the 10" early Old Highland Park, a 6" Mercury, and the wife's 6" unknown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.