Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highland Park 12 inch Vibra Lap rebuild, help  (Read 427 times)

55fossil

Highland Park 12 inch Vibra Lap rebuild, help
« on: July 25, 2023, 05:28:12 PM »

Several years ago I acquired a like new but not working HP 12 Vibra Lap. The motor is frozen and I prefer to replace it rather than rebuild it. There are no markings on the motor. If anyone knows the size of this motor or a part # I would greatly appreciate it if they could share any knowledge of it. The motor buzzes when plugged in and I do think it can be repaired if necessary....  thanks

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
Re: Highland Park 12 inch Vibra Lap rebuild, help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 10:02:40 PM »

Is it frozen with the belt removed?

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 05:05:03 PM »

There are no belts or pulleys on this unit. It has what is probably a 1/4 HP motor with a weight bolted directly to the motor shaft. The weight is off balance, so it makes the vibrations necessary to shake the table. The table is bolted directly to the motor and kept in place by the springs which connect the base to the vibrating table. Very simple, if the motor works.

I did disconnect the motor and while it seems very smooth it runs terribly. I will continue searching for a replacement motor but there are no markings on the motor to see what I need to replace it with.

R.U. Sirius

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 10:35:08 PM »

I would  first spend 20-30 minutes to try to take apart the motor and see if there may be repairable problems with the bearings. Unless you find out the exact size/type of the replacement, the guesswork brings about some risk of mismatched dimensions and mechanics.

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 11:00:16 AM »

I bought a used Star Diamond (10" version) vibra-lab a couple years ago.  Same deal as you, blown motor.  Turns out I was able to replace the motor with a 1550 RPM hvac motor.  They come in all different horsepowers like 1/10, 1/20 and so forth, but your bad motor should have a plate on it somewhere that gives the specs.  The only mod I had to do was cut the shaft with a hacksaw to shorten it, the weight bolted right on and the machine has been running like a champ ever since.  If you do a search on eBay for '1550 rpm hvac motor,' you'll get a long list of suspects.  For reference, I paid $60 for mine.  Good luck!

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 07:04:56 PM »

well, I tore the motor down and cleaned it up a bit. The bearings are a little rough even after clean-up. The bearing mounts are riveted to the case so I cannot fully tear them out and clean them properly. Even if I could tear them out easily, I am certain they are beyond their normal wear and should be replaced. I have the ability to replace the bearings, but I would prefer to install a new motor.
   So, on with the hunt for a new motor. Already tried HP folks, maybe give Cigar Box a call. I do not do Facebook but I have been told they have a page for people looking to buy, sell and repair Lapidary equipment. Anyway, time to search for a new motor.
 There are no manufacturer's plates or markings on the old motor, so this is a dilemma. Horse Power, RPM's are all a guess at this point.
Thanks for the input.

R.U. Sirius

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 09:02:11 AM »

Since the motor still runs, even if terribly, perhaps you could plug it into a power meter ("kill-a-watt" style) and figure out the power/running current. That should give you an idea on hp and current ratings to look for.

55fossil

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 11:26:04 AM »

Okay, I broke down and paid for a new motor....  what a pain in the behind. The exact replacement motor (ha) I ordered is not quite that. I need to wire the cord in properly as it can be wired for 110 / 220 and possibly a radio receiver.... I have to cut off a metal protective housing over one bearing cap so it will fit under the table of the polisher. Then I have to cut off most of the shaft and grind a longer flat spot for the counterweight screw. I have had to do more for less benefit but, it is a damn good motor. Hope to get it installed and running later this week. Cleaning the 18 inch saw today. Oil cleans easier when it is in the 90's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 38 queries.