Gadgets, Gizmos, and Dohickeys > Fixing, Modifying and Refurbishing your Lapidary Equipment

Shopsmith Lapidary?

(1/1)

Rachael75:
I’m wanting to do some lapidary work but the equipment is so expensive. I was hoping to come up with some diy versions. Several years ago we bought a Shopsmith Mark5 vintage machine from a friend. I thought maybe I could use this for working with rocks as it has a variable speed motor and several different configurations. The only issue would be finding a way to incorporate water without getting the motor wet. It’s an all metal machine circa 1940-something. It still runs great though… it was built to basically last forever and be upgradable. But I could use it similarly to how people use drill presses. Maybe can use as a trim saw with a spindle extension. Maybe a buffer, horizontal flat lap too? I’m just wondering if anyone else has attempted this before. The only thing I found is an old article written in a shopsmith journal posted on their forum (bottom left on the 3rd page… I don’t know how to insert stuff in here yet).
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/338/2721.pdf :icon_rr:

irockhound:
I have an old mark 5 also, when you rotate the unit vertically, as in the drill press function the motor would be above the drill chuck or if you're thinking of it as a spindle above that, so I don't think you'd have any water issues with the motor.  I assume you would be trying to use the flat lap in a chuck that is mounted while the shopsmith is in the lathe configuration.  I doubt water would get to the motor since the diameter of the lap would throw the water and I doubt water would kame it past to the motor.  However the throwing of the water would be all over the arms that the motor slide on and that could introduce rust issues there and also it would be awkward to work the cab standing at the side of the lathe rather than in front like you'd normally use a lap.  Could it work, yeah but I don't think I'd try it with my shopsmith.  You could as easily do a small direct motor mounted lap at only the cost of a motor or an old one out of a washer/dryer and some plywood that you could work up on the shopsmith.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version